Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
finally extracting

Posted by tonybeeguy (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 07 at 22:57

Yeah, I know it's late but we're finally cranking out some honey. I won't reach my wishful thinking amount but what will be will be. The honey has some good color and the flavors seem to be good so far.You can taste the difference between the honey from two hives that were side by side. Got 10 more supers to go. We pulled up front with a bunch of supers in the back of my pickup truck with a cap on the back. We got them into the house as quickly as possible and tried to control drips in the back of the truck by using trays to set the supers on, but within 15 minutes or so the truck was swarming with honey bees in the back and all around. I went out and moved it off the street back up into the driveway. It sure got a lot of strange looks from people turning around on our dead end street.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: finally extracting

Good for you Tony!

I'm doing my 3rd.extraction tomorrow....not much anymore, around 4 supers.
All by hand with a 2 frame extractor.
I'm glad, no bees to fight with, as soon supers get pulled and blowed out, they will get covered, so no robbing takes place and it gets into the honey house right away.
Konrad

o

• Posted by ccrb1 z5 IND (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 30, 07 at 20:19

Hey guys. I've actually had a good year. I harvested almost every week, to keep a supply to sell at the weekly markets I sell at.

My last harvest was in Mid August, and I would have run out in another week or two, but I pulled in all the supers at a farm about a mile away, and some are not capped well, and they're all goldenrod. Nonetheless, I extracted two shallows or so, and got nearly 5 gallons. I have to extract the rest in the next day or so while the temps are up... then pull the supers in my own backyard... probably 15-20 supers.

Last year, sales were lower, and I ran out by Christmas. This year, up to Friday night, my sales for this year to date are 40% above the entire year 2006. I may still run out before spring, but with sales so much better, I've really done ok.

weather is drought punctuated by spotty rains, but hey, almost every downpour has been right over my head!

Not everyone around here is as happy. A farmer 12 miles away says they've had no rain since mid august.

o

cc, It's funny how that works. Last year everyone in this area said it wasn't a good year but I did great. This year seems to be pretty good for everyone I talked to around here. A good combination of hot sunny days and the right amount of rain at the right intervals produced long lasting and pretty steady blooms. The hives seem strong and heavy going into the fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here