Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bees in compost

Posted by flowben central ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 31, 08 at 8:18

I started a new compost pile a few weeks ago. Nothing fancy, just kitchen vegetable scraps, leaves and will put on some grass from our final mowing of the season. I read somewhere to put on some sugar to help get it started.

Sooo now I have honeybees that seem to be building a nest. I'd like to encourage them to leave without harming them. Bees are already in so much trouble. I have children, so I really can't allow them to stay. Any suggestions? Will they vacate during the winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bees in compost

Honeybees don't build nest in compost, you might attract them by the sugar?
I can see wasp heaving a nest, [it's too late in the season for
building one] not to worry about any of these bees, cold wetter will kill the wasp and
honeybees go home.

Konrad

o
RE: bees in compost

I have two honeybee hives... they will sometimes find interest in my compost pile... sometimes rotting releases sugars... I also lay cracked corn in the gravel of my driveway for winter birds and they spend a lot of time there is the sun has warmed they corn, they must be able to extract sugars...

But the behaviour you witness is just massing over the sugars, they are taking it back to their hive (not building a hive)...

It would be a wonderful way to teach your children to respect tiny creatures without fear. The bees will not sting unless threatened. They might fly up when you dump compost but they're not going to attack you.

Bees die if they sting you. They don't want to sting you.

Think of it as saving a specie by feeding a 'wild creature'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here