Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some info pleez...

Posted by plf333 z6 Ca (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 12, 06 at 11:32

Hi, A friend has a couple old bee hives she wants to get rid of. I just wondered if I set them out in a field would bees be interested & if so would they be totally self sufficient? I would just put them out there & be done with em. They're on their own?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some info pleez...

Most (all?) states have agricultural laws controlling beekeeping either as a hobby or as a commercial endeavor.
Do you own the field? Are you in a "killer bee" inhabited area of California? (and are you ready for that potential liability?)
Since I'm guessing your interest may lie along a desire to have some pollinating done by the critters, it would be better to have a honeybee nest that could not be traced to any "man made" enticement or encouragement on your part (such as wooden beehives would indicate).

If, on the other hand, some wild stray swarm took up residence in some old hollow tree cavity or in the exterior siding of some old out building then you would have that saying made so famous during Watergate days: "plausible deniability" should the ag inspectors ever come nosing around.

Having, what would basically amount to abondoned beehives doesn't strike me as the smartest thing to do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here