Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinking about beekeeping...

Posted by oldpaddy (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 11:44

I'm seriously considering getting into bee keeping and have a friend who's open to building me a hive. What's the best hive type and what would I need to get started in bee keeping. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinking about beekeeping...

I like the looks of this one: http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/10-frame-wbc-hive-steve-moye/

o

This looks nice.....simplicity is what I aim for but this system would make
it awkward to work the hive, taking the outer shell off and on,...not talking about building it. Go with something what's proven, the Langstroth works good...no need to re-invent the wheel.

Konrad

o

I agree with Konrad in that the outer shell isn't necessary> In fact I wonder what the reason is for having it. I assume looks? If you want to go the least expensive route, build a top bar (kenya)hive. You can google it and get lots of information

o

Stick with the standard Langstroth hive. It is what everybody is using. Everything you can buy is based on that setup.

o

Yeah go with a simple standard langstroth hive, it will the easiest for a begining beekeeper.

o

What would be the initial start up cost of beginning a bee hive hobby?

o

Start up cost would interest me, also. When I had the responsibility of young kids, getting set up seemed expensive, as there were too many demands on what money we had. That was a lifetime ago. Cannot imagine what it must cost, today. Great fun, and the honey was appreciated.
Did find a person anxious to sell his stuff, and those used boxes and extractor were dirt cheap compared to the ones a nearby provider would sell me. He supplied the local farmers with everything they wanted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here