Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txbeeguy

Heres a mundane subject for discussion: hive stands

txbeeguy
18 years ago

After many years of having hives co-located at my home site, I will now relocate some of them to a tract of land at some distance from me. This is an undeveloped [read: wild] piece of land, about 20 wooded acres, more-or-less surrounded by cultivated cropland. Other than the normal skunks, raccoons, armadillos, opossums, etc., I shouldnÂt have problems with anything bigger than coyotes or the occasional bobcat. Thus hives being knocked over by large animals like cattle or bears, isnÂt in the equation.

So hereÂs my topic: IÂm looking to see what people are using for hive stands. I keep coming back to the old "tried & true" concrete blocks to support my hives. They are cheap (a requirement); theyÂre ready made  no construction required (also a strong ÂplusÂ); they last a good long while (a requirement) and they are maintenance free (another big plus). IÂve seen a lot of stands built out of pressure-treated wood, which IÂm sure would last a long time, but IÂm really not inclined to build so many individual stands as I would need. IÂve also seen wood pallets used, but I donÂt feel these would hold up over the long haul (IÂm trying to get a useful life of 15-20 maintenance-free years). So, in short, IÂm kinda looking for suggestions "outside the box"  perhaps someone has come up with an idea for an alternative use of an existing item. Any ideas?

On kind of a related topic, if your hives are located in a grassy area, what techniques do you use to keep the grass from blocking the hive entrance (besides mowing)? In the past, IÂve spread tar paper/roof shingles on the ground to block the grass from growing in front of the hive. Now, in this new location, IÂve decided to work with mother nature (instead of against her), so the new hive location will be under a canopy of trees where grass doesnÂt grow anyway. Even though generally IÂm a believer in locating hives in the sunlight, I will be breaking this rule but IÂm figuring this wonÂt be unlike the natural choice of bees in the shady forests of medieval Europe.

Comments (4)

Sponsored