Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
triple_b

bee pollen reaction

triple_b
18 years ago

I purchased some raw granular bee pollen locally last winter. The proprieters said it was partly local collected pollen and partly from up North (Prince George area). I worked my way up to a tablespoon a day. Up until that point I had no trouble and was enjoying the health benefits of this wonderful miracle of nature.

Then, I started getting a NASTY abdominal reaction about 30 minutes after taking it. It would take me out for about 2 hours. I thought my hiatal hernia had returned (and paid for a not cheap perscription of Prilosec!ouch!) Tummy pains, a crampy feeling, gas, and a bit of nausea. Not fun. Did I develope a sensitivity to one of the elements in the blend, was I taking too much or what? I would like to continue enjoying the benefits of pollen if I can find a painless way of consuming it.

Comments (5)

• txbeeguy
    18 years ago

The supposed benefits of human consumption of pollen is an area that needs to be studied in much greater detail. And since pharmaceutical research/study isn't done 'pro bono', I rather doubt this will ever be accomplished. Then quite obviously, pollen will always remain in the realm of being classified as a "dietary supplement" (with it's attendant stigma of unproven benefits). Please forgive the "U.S. slant" in my terminology but I'm sure Canadian food and drug laws aren't wholly different.
    With all that said, I likewise, personally believe there to be some degree of positive benefits from ingesting pollen. But I have found pollen can be very powerful and extreme care should be taken in it's consumption. Many claims are made for pollen; two of which are commonly: 1) good for allergies and 2) increased energy. While I tend to agree with these two noted benefits, I would never take pollen exclusively for the "increased energy" benefit but yet I will (do) take it for the allergy benefit. It has to do with how much pollen you take to derive the benefit you seek.
    The mix of pollen is different, in different regions and even within the same region depending on the season of the year, climatic conditions affecting plants, etc. There are many variables so pollen is rarely very consistent from one buy to the next (or one supplier to the next). While it's possible that just one constituent of the pollen you consumed caused your problem, it's not likely (at least in my opinion). Much more likely is the amount you are consuming, I would consider a tablespoon a day to be entirely too much. Had you "leveled off" there, or were you still planning to increase your consumption? What have you read to make the determination of how much to take on a daily basis? I'm a fairly big guy and would never take more than about a level teaspoon per day and that's the most I'd ever recommend anyone take. And when you say you "worked your way up to" that dosage - what does than mean? Over how many months? For instance, did you say, take a 1/4 teaspoon for six months and then slowly, gradually increase to half a teaspoon over the next several months? [And it's beyond me how you'd ever get up to a tablespoon of pollen a day!]

• triple_b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thank you txbeeguy. Obviously my "Source" was a little misinformed themselves. I was told to work myself up to a tbsp. per day, but was not told at what rate. maybe i will give the stuff another chance, but in MUCH reduced quantities. (good, now the stuff I bought will last longer too.) thanks again!

• txbeeguy
    18 years ago

Here's a link to a source in your 'local' area:
    http://www.envirobee.com/beepollen.htm

To me, this page is almost laughable; it recommends a tablespoon per day (for adults). And virtually every sentence (or at least, every other sentence) is either blatantly wrong or makes claims which are completely undocumented. Of course, for every one page like this, you can find one that tries to present a more balanced (if, less optimistic) approach to the perceived benefits of bee pollen. It just goes to show you, on the internet you can find "documentation" to support ANY point of view (especially if you're selling something!). I see even the holistic sites (those selling vitamins, minerals, etc.) are recommending one to two teaspoons per day. As I've stated, I don't think you need to take that much to achieve the possible benefits that pollen may bring - but then again I'm not trying to get you to consume more in order to buy more.

• triple_b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes one must be 'wise as serpents' to get along in this world.

• ccrb1
    18 years ago

one to three teaspoons a day is what we had heard, and recommed one per day, but as with adding any new item to diet, work it in gradually.

I've never had a reaction to my own bee pollen, but the content of pollen varies from week to week throughout the year, based on the flowers in bloom.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting