Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Providing forage

Posted by brewcat Lyons, CO (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 04 at 15:46

So in my smaller yard, I'd like to help the bees along as much as possible in an area that does not have a lot of formal agricultural fodder (but lots of prairie grasses). My yard is @ 1/4 acre, and has a flowering crabapple, a peach tree, two small (flowering) ornamental gardens and some mints and dandelions and such.
How much forage (say in square feet) is worth planting to be beneficial to one or two hives? We have a couple parkings on the streets (low-traffic, @ 10-20 cars a day) that are about 8' wide and around 50' and 20' long that I could till up and plant.
Any recommendations (in a semi-arid, high-sun area) for plants that'll be nectar-intensive for helping the hives forage through the season?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Providing forage

• Posted by Zeke Iowa (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 29, 04 at 22:10

dandelions are good for starters, white clover is another legume that is benifical too honeybees .
red clover rarely can provide nectar for honeybees
as they arent able to get deep enough in the bloom .
are you close to any farms or open country ??
honeybees tend to find the blooms that are benifical to them
in most cases .
Zeke

o
RE: Providing forage

Buckwheat, viper's bugloss (Echium vulgare), tree lucerne (Chamecytisus palmensis), Callistemon, if your winters aren't too brutal, forget-me-nots in spring. Willows are good for pollen if there's a damp spot far from your sewage line! Lucerne - which also makes good compost. Borage, hyssop, lemon balm (Melissa), thyme are all good bee herbs, too.

Thyme honey is usually very dark and is less pungent if blended with clover honey. It makes a nice ingredient in homemade icecream. It is also a useful overwintering supply and probably has antiseptic properties from the thymol in the plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here