Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Certan for wax moths now available

Posted by thisbud4u San Diego (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 07 at 15:48

I hope the owners of www.beeworks.com won't mind me advertising their site, but I just called them today, and apparently they have just received a shipment of Certan from Germany. Certan (actually, I think it's been renamed to "B401" or somesuch nondescript name) is the name for the type of BT that's effective on wax moths. I've heard that this stuff is hard or impossible to find in the USA, so I thought I'd pass along the info. From what I gather, you dilute the stuff 1:15, put it in a sprayer, and just spray the frames. One bottle (about $20) will do 100 frames, making it pretty expensive if you've got alot of hives. On the plus side, apparently it works both as a curative as well as a preventative. Hope this helps someone who has wax moths.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Certan for wax moths now available

you can find it in the garden section at lowe's or at your local hardware store for a lot less. i've seen you advertise the exact same thing elsewhere.

o

beelover, for starters, I'm not "advertising" anything...just trying to be helpful, passing along the information. I'm not selling the stuff, so I don't make any money at all from sharing this info. I did cross-post this info on Beesource.com, but I did so with the same altruistic intention.

Secondly, no, you can't find this stuff at Lowe's, nor anywhere else that I'm aware of. Prove me wrong if you can (please--if you're right, that would be really great!).

o

• Posted by ccrb1 z5 IND (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 18, 07 at 15:27

As waxmoths only attack weak and dying colonies, why would you want to spend money treating what is essentially a good thing -- the composting of the wax (with the pathogens) if you're not going to bother keeping your bees healthy and queenright?

o

ccrb, I've seen waxmoths attack healthy, strong hives. I think it's only a beekeepers's myth that they attack weak hives. Besides, weak or strong, if you have a sick child, you don't let him die, you try to bring him back to health. The same is true for a sick plant in your yard, you don't pull it out and plant another if you can more easily give it fertilizer or spray it for pests. This is especially true if the plant is worth something, or has produced nice fruit in the past. The mercenary attitude (if they're weak let 'em die) which I see among beekeepers displays, for me at least, a twisted misunderstanding of the husbandry of beekeeping.

o

ccrb is right in that a healthy hive can resist wax moth.
the mentioned product is used for storing comb (usualy honey supers).
theres a couple guys offering bizwai(sp) powder in the for sale section of the other forum mentioned.
i definately have a "mercenary" attitude. when asked what's killing the bees? my answer is the beekeepers.
too many substances are being put in hives that breed resistant pests and nonresistant bees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here