Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Southeastern Blueberry Bee

Posted by rufhaus none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 18:56

I am a grower of blueberries in East Texas who is interested in attracting the Southeastern Blueberry Bee to help me pollinate my blueberries. I already have a number of wild bumblebee nests that are doing just fine, but I have heard that the Habropoda laboriosa/Southeastern Blueberry Bee is a much better pollinator and I would like to encourage them to set up house in my blueberry fields. Any info on companion plants to attract them, housing that I can build to make their stay more appealing, and to help the hives grow would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Southeastern Blueberry Bee

the blueberry bee is native to North America and is a solitary ground-nester that digs tunnels in the soil. It provisions its nest with pollen and nectar obtained primarily from blueberry bushes. It produces a single generation per year and is active for only a few weeks in the spring.
I do not know of way to keep this type of bee nor do I know of anyone that even tries to raise them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here