Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beestar_gw

newbie wannabee

beestar
15 years ago

I am reading the postings here and it's very exciting and interesting to me. I would love to have bees in my back yard, which backs up to a scrub jay preserve. In spite of all the green area I rarely to never see bees in my yard. I do have alot of flowers but maybe not the right kind. I live in SW Florida.. don't know if that makes for any special concerns. I have no idea the difference between a bee hive and a bee box or where to start. I would love to get honey and also wax for my craft activities. My husband is allergic to bee stings but said he is not worried ... he said the mosquito patrol which sprays our stagnant water ditches... we need them for runoff...will kill the bees. They do spray on our streets into the ditch areas but there is no spraying of any kind on the preserve in my back yard. We do not use any kind of chemicals for our lawn and we do not spray chemicals anywhere for bugs. Will beekeeping work out for me and if so where do i learn to do this? Thanks kindly in advance.

Comments (2)

Sponsored