Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new in bees

Posted by sandrap_2008 11 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 14, 08 at 23:53

Hi, we live in the Philippines. We just discovered a little beehive (or I guess its called a swarm) at the end of the branches of one bougainville. We do not know what to do with it. My husband as good honey consumer he is, wants to get a proper box and start colecting honey, but little do we know about all that. In this part of the world we have no bee keepers or experts. Maybe some natives up in the mountains they do it but nobody to ask.
We dont know if they are dangerous or not. What shall we do? take it away or keep it? if take it away, how? My gardener says he could take it away by night and wearing all black so the bees wont see him, but I rather dont get that approach...
thank you so much for your help!
S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new in bees

Hm...this isn't going to be easy if you're a newbie.

I suppose you have no bee keeping equipment, this makes it ever more difficult.
I'm now putting myself into your shoes and would try to make a make shift bee box.
Here, bees love to go into walls of buildings, only about 4 inches of with, they
start building combs from the top, usually a cross beam from a floor.
You could fashion yourself something like that, perhaps 4" wide lumber, then put wood sheeting over,
screwed, so you can undo easily to take honey out and check. Size,..?? it could be 4 feet wide x 6 feet high.
Or build something from the link below.
You could perhaps use a straw or grass basket for a start right away.
Oh...black closing doesn't get you anywhere, don't take it down at night.
Spray a straw or grass basket inside, with half water and sugar solution, then with a good tap on the
branch knock the bees inside, then slowly turn the basket over, upside down, put on piece of wood, screw down
with some screws, make a hole about the size of your index finger.

Konrad

Here is a link that might be useful: Old stile hives

o
RE: new in bees

from what I read and have heard the swarm doesn't travel far from the original hive to start with. I would check around say a mile radius,talk with neighbors about the bees,ask friends in stores about the bees. Someone has bee that have swarmed unless they're feral bees. Find a real good beekeeping book and read it if interested in keeping bees in the future Pem

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here