Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar water keeps crystallizing.

Posted by gardenfairy50 z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 15:09

I got a swarm on September 20th. Since then I have been feeding them sugar water hoping they will make it through the winter, I live in Michigan. But every time I check the feeder my water is always crystallized. I've tried 2 to 1 and 4 to 1. I was told to boil the water then take it off the heat and add the sugar and stir until dissolved, anyone else have any suggestions has to why it's doing this??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar water keeps crystallizing.

It's getting cool now, even for your zone.
I find the best way to dissolve sugar is to bring it up to just when starting to boil but constant stirring until this happens, put hot water from tap first then sugar stir and put on heat.

Bees don't take it when it cools down too much, what I sometimes do is to feed in a bucket/upside down, inside a empty box over the hole in the hive cover, also put insulation around the bucket and over to keep warm or warmer from heat of the bees. [large population]

You might need to combine yours to make the winter, how large is it?
You could stack it on top of another hive with only the hive cover and screen over the hole or without hive cover, screen the whole top and put hive on top, you will have only a upper entrance which is OK. The lower hive will help to keep the smaller hive above warm. I you feel it's warm enough to open the hive, them I would put in a frame feeder, this will be best to feed bees. [warmer] I really don't like to desturb a hive this late in the season.

o

Use 5:3 weight, sugar to water. 4:1 will be tough to keep in solution, 2:1 can be tricky, but you need to get a really good boil on it to dissolve and keep it in solution. 5:3 works a lot better and stays in solution.

o

Probably a little late on this response, but look up candy boards. They are good to feed the bees in the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here