Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aegis_gw

green nectar, pollen

Aegis
19 years ago

Wow..I was doing a late harvest this afternoon and was shocked to see honey that was bright green. It clearly is something going on right now, but I don't know if my bees are cleaning up somebody's Otter pops or an unusual plant. Here's the photo and some quick research.

{{gwi:434514}}

Doing a search for "green pollen: (BTW, a day or two ago I noticed bees with greenish pollen baskets returning to the hive, and what looks like a couple of dropped pollen sacs in front of the hive that were also greenish) I found:

(www.bulbsociety.com) In the flower segments of this H. aulicum a very dark, almost black, banding is sandwiched between a blue-green throat and the dark brownish-red segments. The pollen is greenish. Like H. papilio, the petepals numbers 5 and 6 are dominant. The lower three segments, setepals numbers 2 and 3 and petepal number 4 are long and narrow.

I do have some belladona, but have never noticed them to be green...I'll look hard tomorrow. SO...MY QUESTION....Has anyone else seen green honey?

-dr

BTW....my bees were unbelievably fiesty today....might be a factor of very little nectar, and they are protecting every drop...or something worse...I think I'll be re-queening soon.

Comments (10)

• Aegis
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Alrighty, then....time to let this post drift off the radar!

-dr

• Eggo
    19 years ago

Aegis, this was such an interesting post, sucks to see you never found out the answer. I would definitely like some green honey, it looks like jade and probably even get a much higher price. I know nothing about bee keeping but found this post very intrigueing. The only thing I found from a google search was green honey in the Philippines caused by bees visiting the flowers of Calliandra calothyrsus. We do have in California a very close relative in Calliandra californica, maybe you could look into that, it may or may not be the answer. Let us know how it goes, keep us updated.

Here is a link that might be useful: green honey

• Aegis
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Eggo,
    Thanks for the interest and link. I do have Calliandra californica around, but not much. And more importantly, when I poked at the flowers there is nothing green...nice yellow and red. My best guess is that the bees found a trash can with some icee pops, or maybe cotton candy, and spent a couple of days hauling back the booty. There is some nectar around, but not much, so the bees are after anything they can find. I tried to steal some green pollen for future reference, but didn't see any more bees with green, and worry that maybe I was seeing things!

-dr

• Eggo
    19 years ago

Aegis, bees on icee pops reminds me of my visit to southeast Asia. When I visited, there were these shops filled with sweet gelatin and coconut milk used for making a kind of desert. The place wasnÂt glassed in like how we have shops here so the sweets were out in the open. There were these flies hovering all over them, at first I was kinda disgusted and couldnÂt understand why they werenÂt covering them. But when I got closer, I realize they were actually bees. Swarm of bees all over the sweets and hovering everywhere. I did eat in there and there were bees that would just fall out of nowhere with there guts splattered, I think there was a queen hovering somewhere. Well this story didnÂt have anything to do with the post, but I just had to share it.

• Aegis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Follow up....
    I did a spring harvest last week and found lots of green cells....thus a renewed bit of research.
    I've more or less confirmed that the green is from an unknown food syrup possibley from a local amusement park. The spectrum of the honey and FD&C Blue #1 have a remarkably similar absorbance band at 630 nm. My best guess is cotton candy. I'll do a little more testing to be sure about the dye.

I have had a handful of suggestions and anecdotal situations
    -honey from the above mentioned Calliandra calothyrsus
    -or Saw Palmetto
    -or Purple loosestrife
    -collected aphid excretion
    -raided mint filling in dumped chocolates
    -raided soda syrup (Coke)...that'll make the bees buzz!
    -obsrevations of green honey from unknonw sources in the Carribbean

• star_fl
    18 years ago

Lovely photo, Aegis.
    Interesting post.

Did you ever find out how this happened?

• amymcg
    18 years ago

You might want to try posting this at beesource dot com

• ccandsea_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Stumbled upon this thread while searching for "green" honey -- meaning "earth friendly". Very interesting! Wish the picture still worked. Don't know if you ever found the answer, but I found this link from a NY Times article from *1911*!!

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=FA0715FB395517738DDDAB0A94DA415B818DF1D3

• Macmex
    13 years ago

1911! Those were the days when people weren't so frighted by bees!

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH