Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
honeybees in the wildlife garden

Posted by kitteh 6 ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 23:39

Bee houses for solitary natives look easy enough to make. Is there a way to make something cheap to attract honeybees to build a hive ?

I'd like to know the best flowers other than clover to attract them too ..... the native bees were everywhere but I only saw a few honeybees ..... are they just mostly gone ?

And from a permaculture ideology should one even be making refuges for non-natives ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: honeybees in the wildlife garden

Yes you can attract honey bees to build a hive. A lot of people do it. You can read a lot about it and do everything right and it may or may not work for you. But if you have the time and can build a box it is worth trying. There are so many ways to go about this I am just going to say look at youtube videos building a bait hive or swarm traps. The Fat bee man are some of the best videos to watch if you want to learn a lot about bees. Bees are funny though you may do everything right with making a bait hive and find that the bees moved into an old tractor tire a few feet away.

I think you should catch and raise bees. I think the bees need us as much as we need them.

o
RE: honeybees in the wildlife garden

No, it's not that easy, by law, most everywhere you need to register honey bee hives, even if you have only one hive. Check with your local club first. European honey bees are very fragile insects and are in constant need for inspection for disease, pest etc. You need to learn allot in that aspect,..if not, your bees could infect allot of hives at your local bee keeper, whom might be he's livelihood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here