Houzz Logo Print
pt03

Bees

Lloyd
15 years ago

Cut and paste from another location....

Posted by pt03 3 Southern Manitoba (My Page) on

Mon, Dec 29, 08 at 9:51

Hi Kris, looked at your web blog thingy, you appear to be a bee person, :-)

While not a bee person myself I do get a lot of help from these critters with the fruit orchard. Although the saskatoon trees are self pollinating, there are a bazillion bees in there when flowering. I can't remember if the cherry trees are self pollinating as well but once again there are tons of bees all over them during flowering.

There is a guy that has a few hives just behind my property from time to time so I suspect the bees cone from there but some years he doesn't have any, yet there are still tons of bees around, gotta come from somewhere.

This summer the University used my orchard as a control to see if placing hives in an orchard would affect yields or the quality of the fruit. There had been some speculation that bee pollination increased the seediness of the fruit.

Interesting critters.

Lloyd

Follow-Up Postings:

o

RE: Bees

* Posted by kiddo_1 NE OH 5 (My Page) on

Mon, Dec 29, 08 at 10:06

'morning, Lloyd.

I'm definitely a pro-pollinator person and hope to add to my (right now small) info on them all. I figure it this way the more I know about them, the better I can help them with forage plants and the kinds of plants that are actually medicinal for them. I have always gardened. Will always garden. Why not put a purpose on the gardening? Give back, so to speak.

When you say that the fruit got 'seedier' what did you mean exactly? More actual seeds? Probably due to increased actual successful pollination. I get the same results with my cukes. I grow the self-pollinating type. If I cover the vines with net and allow no insect pollination, I get seedless cukes. Leaving the net off...I get some seeds due to pollination.

Kris

More appropriate on this forum...

Lloyd

Comments (5)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA