Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bejay10

Manual honey extractor on E-bay?

BEJAY10
19 years ago

I see a manual-type extractor on E-bay. The cost is minimal, but shipping might make it a lot more expensive. It's from overseas.

As I am a small - one hive beekeeper - actually, the bees adopted me and my back yard, just happened to have a box to put them in. Anyway, as my neighborhood is growing so fast, I'm not sure if I will continue to keep this little hive. They seem OK, but -

Anyway, I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with a hand-driven manual type extractor. That may be all that I will need.

Bejay

Comments (7)

• tarheit
    19 years ago

Theres nothing wrong with manual hand crank extractors. They work well for a small number of hives. Be aware there are two basic types. Tangental extractors where the frames need flipped to extract both sides, and radial extractors where the frames don't need flipped. In general you have to run the radial faster, and on the other hand you may have to flip the comb multiple times in the tangental extractor to avoid breaking the comb. Tangental tend to come in 2 to 4 frames sizes, and radial in larger sizes. Either works fine.

They are very suited to the hobbiest with just a few colonies. I had a radial 9 frame hand crank extractor my first year with 7 hives, and it worked well. Though it was apparent I wouldn't want to run many more hives before upgrading to a motorized version, so when a used one came up locally I jumped on it. But if I had stayed with just 7 hives or less I would have likely just kept the hand crank model.

Do check on shipping for any large item before bidding. It can be expensive, especially from overseas. There are some hobbiest extractors on the market that have a plastic tub that are relatively inexpensive (around 110). Stainless ones start around 220 I think. Another option would be to just do comb honey or squeeze the comb when you want liquid honey.

-Tim

Here is a link that might be useful: Plastic Extractor

• BEJAY10
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you - and one further question, how do you go about "sqeezing" the comb?

I think the manual extractor would be just fine, now to find a servicable one, but as you say, shipping from overseas might prove too expensive.

In the past, I was able to rent one from a local bee supply place, but see they are no longer in business. Bees and beekeeping are becoming quite rare in these parts.

Bejay

• tarheit
    19 years ago

Squeezing comb - You can literally squeeze the comb in your hands and place it in a strainer, or just place it in the strainer and break up the comb with a fork. They honey will simply drip out. Of course it destroys the comb, but is fine for harvesting a few frames of honey. I can even be used with plastic foundation, just scrape the comb and honey into the strainer and the frame and foundation can be returned to the bees. It does help to do this in a very warm room so that the honey runs more freely.

There may be a beekeeping association near you that might help. Some may have an extractor for rent, or someone else in the association may help you out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beekeeping Associations and Suppliers

• zeke
    19 years ago

i sold a stainless 4 frame extractor on e-bay last summer
    as i recall i had it shipped by u.p.s. and the shipping was somewhere in the neighborhood of $17.00 ,it was going to Ky.
    and as alawys u.p.s. will have a tracking # to track it through the mail which should be at no extra charge .
    but anyway if you have ebay do a saved search for a daisy
    extractor they are usually rather inexpensive (usually in the range of $20.00 ) and they are rather plentiful i have noticed .
    Zeke

• BEJAY10
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you Zeke - I will give it a try. Haven't been into the hive recently, we are getting all of our winter rains at once it seems, so thought I'd not disturb them for awhile.

Bejay

• GASCOYEMEN_HOTMAIL_COM
    13 years ago

Hello !
    How are You ? we hope you are in good health .
    Generally speaking , we heard that you are a manufacturor of bee keepings tools , honey extractors ........., and we are importer such products to Yemeni market ...........................,
    Currently , we have a new order for 2 frame manual honey extractors and the QTY is 110 Pcs .
    If you are really interested in this business , please kindly offer us the lowest price for 2 frame manual honey extractors .
    In addition to this , please kindly send us the technical speficiations for it
    We hope to hear your positive reply very soon .
    Faithfully

• glennmos_aol_com
    13 years ago

I purchase a new 4 frame manual honey extractor, center crank, SAF model 792.The center pin wore out after extracting 14 supers of honey . the center pin has threads on one end and slip ring on the other end. The nut would work loose and slip ring came off. The center pin was make of solf steel. I am having one maked from a bolt i can use a lock nut and keeping the bolt head, to keep it tight. If you turn the center crank counter clockwise the nut would come off .The side crank are better manual extractors.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services