Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No honey harvest desired

Posted by bobwilliams (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 19, 06 at 13:28

I'm preparing to become a beekeeper. I have read a half dozen books on it. I want the bees only for pollination, not honey harvesting. One subject not discussed in any of the books is - What would you do different from normal beekeeping if you only wanted the bees for pollination and did not want to harvest any honey?

thank you,
Bob Williams

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No honey harvest desired

How many hives you where planning to have?
Not taking any honey could become a big problem, clogging the brood box with too much honey, Queen can't lay enough eggs...reduced population.. swarming etc.....
I would.....
Not keep any honey bees at all, just put up some wood blocks with holes for native bees, also bumble boxes.
Konrad

o

You asked "How many hives you where planning to have?"
I thought I would start with 3 and maybe leave it at that. I am restoring a 25 acres wildflower and tallgrass prairie and can use the polination.

o

I'll come get your honey if your in NC. LOL Lisa/Liznbeatle

o

Bob, at 3 hives... I would think you could get away with native bees.
Not sure why you wouldn't want to take the honey but you could also approach a local bee keeper to set some hives at your place or run a add in a bee journal, news paper, there is always some City folks who want to keep a few hives but have no place to put it.
Konrad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here