Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found 40 year-old honey, OK to eat?

Posted by matx 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 17, 08 at 16:23

Hi -

My wife's great grandfather used to keep bees and produce his own honey. We recently found about 10 large jars of his honey that must be about 40 years old. It seems dark, but the seal on the jars appears fine (not popped up).

I did read that if it is crystallized, I can heat it up in warm water.

Are there any safety concerns with eating it? What does honey do when it goes bad?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found 40 year-old honey, OK to eat?

Honey will not spoil it will ferment if it gets water in it but from what you say the lids are tight so loosen the lid and warm it and enjoy the fruits of Grandpaw`s labor!!

Merry Christmas

o

HONEY HAS BEEN FOUND THAT IS OVER 100 OF YEARS OLD .... ALL GOOD AND IS THE ONLY SUGGER THAT WILL STAY THAT WAY....EAT AND ENJOY...!

o

I ate 30 year old honey and it gave me terrible gas. It was quite and embarrassing evening.

o

Umm... they have found honey in Egyptian tombs that is sugared but not spoiled. Eat away my friend. Also, dark honey is, in my opinion, the best. My dad is a commercial beekeeper and I'm always asking him for his dark honey that comes off blueberries :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here