Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigpaws12

Honey Bees have taken over my salt water pool

bigpaws12
13 years ago

First, let me just clarify- these ARE honey bees, not sweat bees, hornets, wasps, yellow jackets, mason bees, Cicada killers or anything else that might try and trick me in to thinking it's a bee. I've unfortunately killed enough of them to examine them up close and personal, and they are, indeed, bees. They are also Wild bees (or domestic bees that took off). Here's the crux of the problem. I never noticed bees much in my yard (they are here, just not a probem) until last year, when we installed an inground heated salt water pool. The pool was finished mid-spring and my kids were swimming May 1 Or rather, they WANTED to swim, but hoards of honey bees behave like the pool is THEIR PERSONAL water supply and NO ONE, not person, not dog, is allowed near it. Now, I've read things like "don't have flowers around your pool" and that's a big roger... actually I DO have flowers but it's a shrub, doesn't bloom til fall, and is NOT part of the problem, plus it's mainly visited by the bumblebees in particular, and it's staying. This particular group of bees shows up with the sun. They are not lured by my vegetable garden or roses or english garden on the other side of the yard. I am sure they are nesting in the woods behind us which are not very navigable, filled with venomous snakes once it's warm enough (see: Vet bills from copperhead strikes) and I have not been able to find any "path" the bees take other than "somewhere in the woods behind the neighbor's in the protected preserve area". I am not really interested in killing bees (I'm a gardener. I plant everything, hope it grows and even leave my garden open for foraging critters through the winter... the deer and squirrels love me!). Unlike the wasps that come dip down for a harmless little sip, these bees literally patrol the area and aggressively try to remove you from "their" area. Only it's MY area! I want to rid myself of them, preferably by deterring them, but will happily poison the bejesus out of them if it means my children can swim, and I can swim instead of standing on Bee guard. Killing them does no good because of course more just come, and they smell their dead little friend, and they know the crazed woman with the pool skimmer net is out to get them, and it's game on!

Again, because I know I'm going to hear it, these are NOT wasps, yellow jackets, sweat bees, bald-faced hornets, mud-dawbers, paper wasps... they are indeed your classic, mildly furry, striped but muted honey bee. I have had many experiences with bees and this is not at ALL like ANY bee behavior I have ever witnessed. There are no nests on my property. It's like they drop out of the sky just to harass us.

I'm kind of a tree hugger most of the time, I plant things i know the wildlife will enjoy, and I actually just adore bumblebees and have taught my children to get up close and personal to watch them, but these honey bees will have NONE of it, and their attitude lasts for most of the summer. They seem to chill out come fall when I then have to be vigilant about the wasps! Oddly enough, they are less bothersome than the bees.

I've seen ideas like a "bee bath" which won't work. I know this, because I already have alternate water sources on site, and perpendicular to the pool is a natural wet-weather creek where they have plenty of fresh tasty water. They are preferring my pool which is why I thought they might be sweat bees at first, but they are not. Just plain old honey bees.

Can I lure these bees away with something more attractive? I really don't want to kill them, I just really do NOT want them at the pool area. I am thinking if I can lure them once it warms up, perhaps I can get a beekeeper to come get them, and I can go back to talking to the bumblebees who are much nicer company. HELP!

Comments (23)

• softmentor
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

First, if they are using your pool for water, they are probably close by, which you probably already know.
    You mentioned alternate water source, that seems to me the best thing. Remember, it has to be there 100% of the time. If it goes dry even once, they may stop using it. I don't know if putting a feeder right by the alternate water will attract their interest, but may be worth trying. Then you may want to try a barrier to make it hard to get to the pool. They make pool covers out of heavy duty pool grade vinyl that are a little like bubble wrap. These can be cut to fit the exact shape of your pool. You can cut yours so that it is a little snug by say, 1/2 an inch and the edge rides on the side of the pool, making it very difficult for the bees to get to the water. Once they are forced to take up a different source, they should show far less interest in your pool. Added plus of the cover, it keeps the pool cleaner and you should be able to start swimming 6 weeks earlier because it will warm up more. Covers run about $150 to $400 depending on the size of your pool (maybe only $40 for a hot tub)
    Maybe some who knows more about it could comment on whether or not they are going after the salt and if you should consider salting the alternate source??
    Ultimately, you may have to call your county and see if they have a bee removal program for bees that are a problem.
    Just a note that I have never had my bees be the least bit aggressive around their water source. They get water in one of my nursery pots, and I work all the pots right beside and all around that one and they never give me a notice. Makes me wonder if you have africanized which are much more aggressive and swarm/attack in dangerous numbers, and should be removed anyway.

• julysun
    12 years ago

I would pour a gallon or two of Vinegar in the pool.

Here is a link that might be useful: removing bees

• barkdog
    12 years ago

Bigpaws - Did you ever come up with a solution?
    We have three bee hives. We had a standard hot tub and rarely had any bees on it. This winter we replaced the hot tub with a salt water tub, and now the bees are all over it. Thinking it must be the salt drawing them in. Going to try putting a salt block out by the hives, but wondering if you came up with any solutions?

• julysun
    12 years ago

Pretty powerful stuff!

Here is a link that might be useful: Insectacide

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

I don't think poison is the way to go, ...you might have killed off some hives.
    Cyfluthrin is highly toxic to bees with an LD50 of 0.037 mg / bee

• JRG13
    11 years ago

It's the salt/minerals they want. Bees use it to cure the honey. Put salt licks out or a bird bath with salty water and cover the pool to make it inaccessible and force them to go to the alternative source.

• jjs95
    7 years ago

This is not an uncommon problem with salt pools. Please refer to this article below.

http://www.livescience.com/43103-bees-taste-with-feet.html

• mannixcarver
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The pool cover mentioned elsewhere DOES NOT help. We have a solar cover on our saltwater pool and the bees seem more attracted to it than the exposed pool water.

Still looking for a fix.

• Carolyn
    6 years ago
    We are absolutely having same HUGE problem in Phoenix with our salt water relatively small pool and the Honey beeS. At this rate our pool will be unusable. The solar blanket added to the problem giving bees a place to land and crawl to the edge to drink the water. We had about fifty bees this afternoon. We back on to preserve so there is no way we are going to find where the Honey bees are coming from — read they could be coming from 3 miles. Ultimately we don’t want to be killing hives anyhow. We have tried spray bottles with very concentrated soapy water — fail. Other suggestions?
  • Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    6 years ago

See what others do...or you're the only one with pool? I wouldn't be worried with only 50 bees.

• Becky Boat
    5 years ago

I live in Mesa, AZ at the base of a mountain and open desert all around. I also have a saltwater pool and the bees got to the point I couldn't even brush it or get near the pool. I don't have flowering plants around the pool and gave them an alternate water source. It did no good. I called The Bee Keeper 480-725-6050. They came the next day and sprayed a foam around the edge of the water. It does not kill the bees it just makes the water undesirable to them. It made the water cloudy for about an hour. You can swim immediately. By the next day there were no more bees. It was $168.00. Other neighbors have used them only needed them once.

• HU-808484371
    5 years ago

I also had the same problem as my neighbor has thousands of bees for honey. I added 4 ounces of if liquid solar blanket 3 days in a role and the bees are gone. When they start to come back I know I need to add more and they go away. Only thing I found that works so far.

• Matt G
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I just started having this problem today. They look like honey bees. I think someone nearby might have some hives but are not providing a watersource. I used this stuff on ants called Tero drop or something. They get into it, take it back to the hive, and they all die. Will this work on bees? Yes I know these could be wild bees and they could be someone's hive. I really dont care. It is my pool and if they are domesticated they should provide their own water for them. Just like if someone has a dangerous dog that runs freely if it shows up at someone else's house and tries to hurt their kids it is subject to getting dealt with. I see the bee keeper option but I dont think it should be upon me to pay someone $168 to put chemicals in my pool, again so my kid can play in them, to not hurt anyone's bees.

• Angela Zuill
    4 years ago

Matt G, I understand your viewpoint about it being your pool. With that said, I have a beehive on my property and we just put in a salt water pool this year. Our bees love to drink the water splashed around the pool decking, and this is in SPITE of a bucket of water (with added salt) that I put DIRECTLY next to their hive. So don't assume that if these are bees from a beekeeper's hive that they are wandering your way due to neglect on the keeper's part. Please don't poison the bees, they are so environmentally important.

• Eveline Zoratti-Oser
    3 years ago

Becky Boat Could you perhaps let me know what kind of foam this was the beekeeper was spraying? We also have this problem at our pool. We live in Switzerland. Any help is very much appreciated. Regards, Eveline

• HU-449247595
    3 years ago

I am having the same problem every since my neighbors have let his mom put honey bees in their yard . I have tried asking her what to do to keep the bees out of my pool . She put a baby pool with water in front of the hives but that hasn’t worked . I saw her today and asked again , she very rudely said I put water out there that’s all I have to do so it’s your problem !! So now what ?? We can’t even swim with out them taking over the pool . Claims she’s the head of the bee keepers association so no one else I can go to.

• Carolyn
    3 years ago

We are still using algaecide once every three weeks. Bees leave our pool and fountain completely alone.

• Ms. KR Bronson
    3 years ago

I see this is a Post from 8 years ago with comments a recent at June 2020. Has anyone found a reasonable solution as I have need dealing with the same problem all summer. The name of the foam or solution placed in the pool referenced before would be helpful!

• ggrubepa
    2 years ago

I have the same problem. I think that the solar cover is part of the problem. When the solar cover is on the pool, the bees are all over it. But, when the solar cover is retracted and rolled up, the bees are still all over the solar cover rolled up on the reel. If I put a white cover over the reel, the bees disperse until the solar cover is back on the pool.

I think that the bees are attracted to the pattern made by the "bubble wrap" type layer on the bottom side of the cover. The bees see the pattern that it makes on the flat side of the cover and they confuse it with the pattern of their bee hive. So, I think that the attraction is simply confusion caused by the pattern in the pool cover.

• Sue Everett
    2 years ago

I have that issue too. I put trays with acorns, pieces of my solar cover (upside down) and water from my pool. I change the water in the tray regularly and they much prefer the trays to trying to drink from the pool. They also do not like sunscreen, so make sure you sunscreen up and they'll swam to the trays and not you. The orange in this photo is because I started with a metal tray and it rusted. This is a plastic one.

• Cynthia Gernand
    last year

It's not just salt water they want. We have a fresh water pool and it's not so much the water, but the white pipe around the return from the pool filter. My husband made valves where the water returns to the pool with 2 different shut offs. Depending how you adjust them one pipe returns the water directly in the pool. One has a spray head that sprays the water into the air over the pool to keep the water cooler in the summer because it gets way too warm if not. We live in South Texas, enough said and with adjustment it also makes water run down the slide.. The honey bees congregate all around the center of that pipe and more and more keep coming. Last year it was the white stair rail going into the pool, however we've been blessed so far, they are not aggressive at all. When I hook up the pool vacuum, I have to have my face ,hands and arms right in the middle of them swarming around me to get it hooked up and they haven't even attempted to bother me, Thank God!!

I was a little concerned at first, but so far so good. Anyway, just saying, it's not the salt.

• Lars
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

We have a lot of Black Phoebes that visit our pool, and they are very good at catching insects that visit the pool

They eat all bees that fall into the pool, but we have a chlorinated pool. After reading this thread, I will not switch to a salt water pool. This is in Palm Springs.

Sponsored