Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orcuttnyc

Starting Over. Was Dead Bees~

orcuttnyc
15 years ago

Ok. As I posted in my other discussion, my bees died. I sent them to Beltsville, Md and found out that the cause was most likely Varroa Mites.

Ok, so, i'm learning. Next bees will get early summer mite prevention treatment with Apilife. It's supposedly bio organic, which I approve of. Varroa mites are very prevalent now a days, and getting difficult to control. Apparently, their becoming slowly resistant to chems, and organic treatments.

In talking to my local bee association president, i'm finding that local beekeepers bee mortality is fairly high lately.

The bees I had, were from a package, brought up from Georgia to me in New York State.

What i'm wondering, is, what's anyones ideas, on where best to get bees from? I'm just starting to look into this. I'm guessing ferral bees might be easier to 'naturalize' if I get them locally? Are ferral bees hardier? I'm going to talk to local bee removal services.

Is Georgia such a good place, for me in New York, to get bees from? I mean, it's a wholly different environment. Could the mass production of bee packages in Georgia, be producing less hardy, more susceptible to mite related weakness and disease, type bees?

I grow plants, bushes and trees. I've always read that the best results occur from obtaining local cultivars? Plants more acclimated to the environment I want to raise them in. Could this be the same with bees?

What do you think?

I would like to have my bees alive and prospering ;)

Comments (6)

• pife
    15 years ago

I don't know any beekeepers who are not still learning, whether they admit it or not. The best ways to learn is to talk to other beekeepers and read everything you can. I just finished Increasing Essentials which is the best bee book I have read to date. I also like Bee Culture magazine. You will read what the experts are doing about all of the issues that we face. I don't know if I will buy package bees again or not. I am adding another hive in the spring and I plan to do a split of an existing hive into a nuc. If you don't like packages I suggest finding someone that sells nucs. The problem with mites is not that the bees come from Georgia or any where else. The problem is that all hives that I am aware have some level of mites. Be careful treating before or duing a nectar flow as you obviously don't want chemicals in your super. That is the honey you are eating.

I started over this past spring, this is my third year. I learn everytime I talk to someone or open the hive. Right now I am concentrating on feeding for the winter. I am feeding fondant (cake icing). My bees starved last February and I said never again.

I relate bees to raising children or dogs. You have children and know nothing about the raising of them and only learn through experience. Likewise with bees.

Good luck and don't give up. Now, go out and borrow or buy some books and subscribe to a periodical. Go to club mmetings and talk to everyone.

Pife

• orcuttnyc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Pife,
    Just got off the horn with Betterbee. They take orders for nucs in Jan for May, June shipping. Seems a bit late, no? If I get package bees, they'ld come in April. Most of my fruit flowers will be done by June. A nuc would be wise, but by June, the outdoor temps are warm enough to treat, if I go wit a package, for mites with the Apiguard.
    I did order a Varroa screen and tray, as well as some Apiguard and some global patties to feed them.
    I've got "Beekeeping, A Practical guide, get Am Bee Journal and will bee getting another mag related as well ;)
    I'm a member of the SE Beekeepers Association of NY. I'm just waiting for some practical 'yard' meetings ;)
    Thanks,
    Bill

• pife
    15 years ago

A couple more thoughts. First, there is nothing wrong with packages, except they may not be as good as a local nuc. Second, I would try to find a local beekeeper that has a nuc. I have a friend near here that has nucs that locals can buy. I am sure he wouldn't ship though. and Third,see if anyone in your club or another club has a nuc. Finally, if you buy a package, about in June or July you can do your own split and create your own nuc. The book Increase essentials gives great instructions for making your own split nuc. On the internet you can get plans to build your own nuc. It is very simple then buy a few frames. You will take a couple frames to create the nuc.

While I have done a nuc yet, I will be doing it this summer. While I once feared seeing swarm cells on frames I now welcome them. Pife

• tonybeeguy
    15 years ago

I've had very good luck with some packages and not so good with others. Last year I got first date delivery on some from Betterbee that took off and produced like crazy. But then with all the rain and delays, the later packages left much to be desired. One thing you might consider is getting an early package (be prepared to feed) and order a nuc from a local beekeeper. The reason you'll get the nucs so much later is you are getting an established colony of bees with drawn out foundation and frames of brood. You can look at the frames and see what kind of pattern the queen is laying.

Check around now. Reservations for nucs can go fast. You don't want to start asking around in may.
    So is it SABA (Southern Adirondack Beekeepers Association)that you belong to? Ther are a lot of nice people in that group. I go to their spring conference every year. I think it will be in February this year.

• orcuttnyc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, i've got two packages ordered. I have my second hive ready to set up. I have Varoa med pacs for when the temps are right. I have a couple of 'global pollen substitute patties' ready for my early arrivals. I'll put in a sugar water feeder as well.
    So, fingers crossed, reading all I can in preparation... ;)
    Happy Christmas all! Here's to a great bee keeping year ahead! ;)

• tonybeeguy
    15 years ago

One thing I've found about keeping bees is that the coming season always brings with it a fresh sense of excitement and hope that everything will fall into place. Of course we play a part in the outcome, but so much is left to nature. Last week the temperatures here were in the single numbers and there was about 20 inches of snow. Today was in the fifties and my bees were flying and looked strong. It was great to have that feeling and smell of spring in the air, if only for a day or two.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets