Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drscottr

Bee hive wanted

drscottr
17 years ago

I live in Owings Mills. Would a bee hive help my vegetable garden and if so is there a hive keeper who would put one nearby?

Comments (3)

• ccrb1
    17 years ago

I suppose you can find someone, and pay them to do the job. Beekeeping would require regular trips for inspection of the hive.

Why wouldn't you just get a hive and learn to keep bees yourself?

Here is a link that might be useful: Indiana Beekeeping School

• bejay9_10
    17 years ago

I do have bees and a hive with 2 brood boxes and supers on top. However, if you are interested in beekeeping, the yellow pages of the phone book - under bees will put you in touch with bee exterminators and bee keepers, who also sometimes sell a nuc box.

However, if you aren't interested in keeping bees, the next best thing would be to plant the things that attract bees. I use quite a lot of borage in and around my vegetable to attract bees. While they are foraging, they will also pollinate the blossoms of vegetables and fruits nearby.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

• yarnoverboard
    17 years ago

Hi, You may want to contact the your maryland beekeepers association. I know Montgomery county has a very active assocation. Right now the beginning classes are about to start, and there may be a beekeeper who would like to keep a hive in your yard.

Usually bees will fly in a 3 1/2 mile (I think) radius from their hive to forage. Good luck.

Sponsored