Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bee farming in a hydroponic indoor farm.

Posted by TrinBEE Minnesota (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 30, 11 at 19:49

I would like to hydroponically grow peppers in a warehouse. Then after the peppers flower I would be able to farm bees that have collected the specific pepper nectar and pollen ONLY. I understand the problem of greenhouse beekeeping. the bees are confused by light and heat and kill themselves in the process of trying to "get out" for cleansing flights. However if the warehouse provided a big enough space and enough of the flowers would I be able to farm bees inside of the warehouse? I understand that the lack of genetic difference would cause an increased vulnerability to disease, however, great care and attention to detail will be put into the project if it is possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bee farming in a hydroponic indoor farm.

honeybees just dont do inside if you want a pollenator inside try bumbles

o

Try this;http://www.ehow.com/how_5625251_pollinate-hydroponic-tomatoes.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Bumble bees for a greenhouse.

o

Anybody have any further information on the size of the greenhouse needed for using honeybees for pollination? What about a greenhouse which received all the lighting needs through artificial light? Would the bees still try to kill themselves attempting to leave the greenhouse?

o

Hi, what's the minimum height needed for cleansing flights?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here