Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Honey from poisonous flowers

Posted by zsnp FL (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 12, 04 at 19:52

I know that oleanders and azaleas are poisonous. Oleanders
have been used to make rat poison. Their roots, branches, leaves,
flowers, and even their seeds are deadly. But I like
oleanders very much because of their nice flowers.

What happens if a bee collects nectar from a poisonous plant?
What happens if I eat that honey?
Would I die?

Do you know if anyone has ever died from honey?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Honey from poisonous flowers

Yes, honey from oleander or azalea is poisonous, and yes you could die from it.

See: http://www.wssa.net/photo&info/other_info/Oleander.htm
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey

Not all harmful plants yield poisonous honey though. Honey from Poison Ivy has no harmful effects for example.

Poisonous honey does look to be pretty rare based on the info I've seen.


 o
RE: Honey from poisonous flowers

When we first started beekeeping years ago, we were concerned that honey from certain flowering plants might be harmful. Rumor had it that honey from Rhododendrons could be harmful. Our place, at that time, had plenty of Rhodies. A little research into the subject showed us that, yes, honey that came strictly from those kind of plants might have harmful effects, but as those plants were in significant minority among the local flora, the nectar arriving in the hive from the huge variety of flowering plants in the area would, at the very least, dilute any potential poisons. So, we didn't worry beyond that point.

If you live in an area where the vast preponderance of flowering plants are oleander and azalea, you might have reason to be concerned. But if they're a few among the larger varied majority, there's likely little cause for concern.


 o
RE: Honey from poisonous flowers

  • Posted by ccrb1 z5 IND (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 17, 04 at 22:21

and I understood it was undercured honey from rhodos and azaleas that were the problem, and it went away if the honey was ripe.


 o
RE: Honey from poisonous flowers

Is the nectar harmful to bees and butterflies? I have several oleanders on my deck in the summer and they are always in flower. In Florida they are everywhere. So there must have been research done on whether the nectar is harmful to insects and birds. Anyone know a site where I could check this out?


 o
RE: Honey from poisonous flowers

Yes, oleander nectar also harms bees and butterflies. A tenured entomologist and beekeeper from Univ of TX who showed up at the beekeepers meeting of Central TX to lecture to us about toxic oleander nectar's negative effects on hives of cultivated and wild bees. For more info you could probably contact Univ of TX at Austin's entomology dept.

The oleander plants can be pollinated and the oleander nectar is harvested by the insects just fine since it is a dilute toxin. But once it gets into hives the toxin gets concentrated because the bees dry out the nectar by fanning it with their wings. And then, when they feed the concentrated nectar (honey) to the young bees, the concentrated toxins from the TOXIC oleander nectar die, and the hive dies.

And the toxin from oleanders can also make butterflies and hummingbirds ill, if oleanders are a main source of nectar for any one butterfly or bird.


 o
RE: Honey from poisonous flowers

Don't worry about them collecting nectar from Azaleas because they won't. Also watch out for yellow jasmine that produces poisonous honey. Happy Beekeeping! -Alex


 o
RE: Honey from poisonous flowers

Even though this is an old thread, thanks to those who posted. I am starting a hive and have some of these plants on my property. Last summer I planted an oleander. Fortunately, it is small. I have dug it up and will destroy it. I also have an azalea which looks like it's on its last legs, so probably wont be a problem. Rhodies, a few.

Now I'm a little concerned - I have a buckeye. It looks like the species to look out for is 'California buckeye', which is not what mine is. They are mentioned in the URL below.

I also read that Japanese Pieris can be toxic. I have that, too.

I have a feeling that as long as there are lots of other nectar sources, a few of these wont be a problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: plants with toxic nectar


 o
RE: Honey from poisonous flowers

We have lots of Oleanders on our property, that bloom almost year round, and we have never seen a single bee foraging on them. We live on an extremely dry native sage brush canyon and during late summer/fall the nectar flow is very low but still, they refuse to go to Oleander.


 o
RE: Honey from poisonous flowers

  • Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 14:34

As a general rule, nature's critters are smarter than we give them credit for.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here