Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got bees?

Posted by boxcar_grower (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 26, 09 at 21:06

After a few years of wanting to maintain a honey bee hive, this year I am committed to it. I have a local bee keeper that I have become friends with is going to build me a hive and install a bee package and teach me the basics of beekeeping.

The plan is to see how things go in 2010 and if all goes well to create a second hive in 2011 that I will maintain myself.

Silly to be excited over bees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got bees?

I've got the same plan as you do this year. You are lucky to have a friend who can help you - I've just got some books and the internet! Just got through putting together my hive this weekend and trying to reassure my wife who vows she will never go into the backyard again!

o

I have 12 acres of land that borders an state forest. I too have the family scared stiff! My issue is I live in bear country so I will have to place a electric fence around the hive to protect it. SO I fear for my "bear" of a chocolate labrador! He is just too nosey for his own good sometimes!

I have numerous annual and perennial beds along with a very large vegetabe garden. I have about 200 strawberry plants and 24 raspberries. This year I want to start a small fruit orchard. I will start with a 4-6 apples and might try peaches. The bees should be happy here with my offering plus all the native flowering trees and shrubs.

o

I remember when I got my first package of bee last year. I was really excited too. That great that you have a mentor to help you. I have one too They are so helpful when you have problems. Happy Beekeeping!-Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here