Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a Begonia????

Posted by Plumcrazy z7 MS (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 9, 04 at 19:16

Ok heres another plant that was given to me. The leaves appear to be sort of delicate and thin. I did move one of the leaves and find a small pink flower.
Thanks
Plumcrazy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a Begonia????

It's some kind of cane begonia, but it has some sad-looking soil! I'd consider knocking some of that off, and potting in a nicer mixture, I think you'll get prettier leaves with better color, too. I hope your plant is happy in its new home :)

HTH,

Celene

o

It looks a lot like B. 'Flamingo'. I agree that the soil looks too heavy for begonias. Their delicate roots will get smothered in it. It also looks too dry. This one can eventually get around 12' tall. It does very well in the ground in warm climates and blooms all the time (assuming yours is 'Flamingo', of course). Begonias like half-strength fertilizer, or you can use highly diluted fertilizer every time you water. A begonia nursery in Florida uses half-strength Peter's 20-20-20 once a week. They water by hand with a watering wand, soaking the mix and wetting the foliage.

o

Hmmmmm, the begonia I have IDed as 'Flamingo' has NEVER had so many spots as this one does. When I was looking at the Astro pictures I happened upon a photo of 'Di-Erna' and couldn't get over how much it looks like my 'Flamingo'.

Does 'Flamingo' have this many spots? If so, I think I don't have it after all.

o

'Flamingo' only has spots on the juvenile leaves. The leaf to the right of the picture has no spots. The photo labeled 'Di-Erna' on the Astro site looks like 'Flamingo' to me.

o

Oh, thank goodness. I love knowing the names of my begonias and everything about 'Di Erna' looks just exactly like my plant. It was kind of spooky. Thanks again Elizabeth.

o

I gave up IDing most canes or rexes from pictures years ago - there are so many varieties that look alike and they can vary so much depending on growing conditions that a true ID for many is virtually impossible unless you know it was propagated from a correctly named plant. Bob

o

• Posted by Korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 30, 04 at 13:20

Um, is it me, or is the poor thing somewhat overpotted too?

Korina

o

looks like an old angelwing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here