Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hookeelao

beginner Begonia enthusiast

hookilau
9 years ago

New to Begonia, but a couple of years into actively keeping plants.

I have several Adenium, schlumbergera, aeonium, jades & other assorted succulents. I hope the last couple of years will serve me while I try to procure a small collection of tuberous begonias.

A couple of questions, please....I live in New York, there are a couple of greenhouses here on Long Island that I frequent with a fair assortment of house plants, indoor plants.

[b]Is there a specific time of year when tuberous begonias are offered for sale? [/b]

Just wondering when might be a good time of year to catch them on sale.

I've seen them before, took note of the lovely blooms, high price, and passed them by. Now that my plant keeping skills have improved somewhat, I'd love a shot at one or 2.

[b]Do squirrels dig up the rhizomes as they seem to like to do with bulbs?[/b]

Thanks for any help you can offer :)

Antoinette

Comments (9)

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

While I quit trying tuberous many years ago (they don't do that well in the south), I would seem to think that tuberous would go on sale after they've been picked over and no one is buying them (late spring, early summer). If you want the best of the litter then I'd pay full price.

Try eBay for seeds and bulbs (tubers). Many other mail order places as well to get an idea on how high and how low prices are. White Flower Farms has been offering B&L bulbs over the years for starting prices of $50 a tuber (kind of rich for my blood).

Squirrels will dig up anything if it is easy. If a plant fills a pot, they usually don't bother it but if there is a small plant, seeds, bulbs, etc. then they might just decide to dig there. I find a top layer of gravel often keeps them from digging. Another deterrent is some kind of mesh, bird netting, etc. will keep them out.

• hookilau
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input =)

I'll look out for them this Spring. I don't recall if I've ever seen them PIG here in NY, so I plan to try a container for now.

As I get on learning about plant keeping, I'm finding there are plants I've been surrounded by all my life and I just never took notice of, much less appreciated.

The squirrels. I've never had much issue with them before, but they do kinda root around the containers on my raised patio. I guess we'll see n_n I'm fully prepared to 'plant' some plastic forks 8)

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

You said "I'll look out for them this Spring. I don't recall if I've ever seen them PIG here in NY, so I plan to try a container for now." I think you meant BIG?

Plants kind of sneak up a person sooner or later (some never notice them though but to each their own).

I like the idea of planting plastic forks. Just wonder what the distance should be between each fork to keep those pesky squirrels at bay.

• MaryJoZ5
    9 years ago

I'm thinking she did mean PIG for planted in ground- since she hasn't seen them planted in the ground in NY she will plant hers in containers.

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

Thanks MaryJo - learn something new every day. First time I ran across that acronym.

• Edie
    9 years ago

Planting in the ground works just fine in NY, so you do have that option. Keep in mind that hanging types look best where they can dangle, either over a retaining wall or over the side of a container. Upright types look good anywhere.

• hyakamooks
    9 years ago

Not sure about NY, but in WA we see tuberous begonias for sale (full price) in about May, and discounted by early July.

Re planting in ground: tuberous begonias are way too tender to overwinter in states north of about SC.

Just dig up the tubers after the first *light* frost, or when the leaves start to drop and drop off the tuber. You can also pull them up when things start to get chilly, then lay them on newspaper until their leaves/branches fall off (they get a little energy from the branches).

Then store in a cool, dark place in a paper bag, and mist from time to time, until they start budding (around mid-Feb). I've tried to overwinter them in pots, but they just do exactly the same leaf/branch drop, and you still have to dig them up and store the tubers.

Then, plant them in pots till late April when they've leaved out a bit. When the weather is predictably above 50 at night, transfer the plants to the ground.

I *love* tuberous begonias - they're gorgeous, and surprisingly forgiving and pest-resistant, and the deer don't touch them.

• kadambisb
    9 years ago

Hi,

I am from India and planning to order Tuberous begonia's. How long does take to flower?

I am also a beginner.

As I am impressed with their flowers I am planning to try them :)

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

They should bloom within a few weeks from sprouting if you get tubers. If starting from seed, it may take a bit longer to bloom. Of course you can buy them in bloom when they start hitting the nurseries so you can get instant gratification.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living