Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cane type ID please

Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 9:27

Back story. My great grandmother had this one. Passed it on to my mom and now Im trying to keep the memory alive. This is a cutting from the plant my mom has. I doubt the one she has is the actually mother plant. My great grandmother got the first one probably around 40 years ago.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Im pretty certain its "lucerna" just from some google research. Neither myself or my mother have seen it bloom and I hope to change that soon

Thanks
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cane type ID please

I agree, looks like that wonderful survivor, B. 'Lucerna'.

o

Yes, looks just like mine, a tough Begonia. Put it in some morning sun outside when it warms up. That makes mine bloom. Good luck with your pretty plant!

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 10:37

Thank you!!

My mom will glad to know.

mike

o

I wanted to share my progress and ask a question. I would rather not have to stake this one but I imagine its inevitable because of the type. Will cutting it back continuously achieve a more bush type of plant.

Mike

o

That's growing very well, looks great!

Once this plant can go outside, the wind will keep it strong. Until then, if it gets so tall that it's floppy, snap it off and stick the end back in the soil. If you put a tall, floppy plant outside, the wind will tear it up whether it's staked or not. Turning often so it don't lean toward the light helps too, and waggling it gently with your hand, often, like the wind would do.

I do that to my cane Begonias all winter. The tips almost always take root, and the snapped original stem should sprout a new top, maybe more than one.

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 9:49

Here she is today. Love the flowers.

o

I do too! Thanks for the update - looks fantastic!

o

Wow looks great :) what a difference a little sun will do :) I put mine outside and I guess it got to much Sun because all the leaves feel off:( so she's back inside healing!

o

Wow looks great :) what a difference a little sun will do :) I put mine outside and I guess it got to much Sun because all the leaves feel off:( so she's back inside healing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here