Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dusty5150

Inherited very old Begonia - need some help

Dusty5150
12 years ago

hi everyone, thanks in advance for the help.

let me say first that I am not a plant person and have never had house plants.

*links to photos at the end*

my grandmother had this begonia that my mother gave to her in 1979, which I have always loved, and when she passed away this summer I brought the plant home with me. I've done a pretty good job of basically keeping it alive LOL but I'm wondering if I oculd be doing better. she kept in in front of her large picture window so it always had lots of light, and apparently she watered it once a week. I've tried to do the same, and it seems to work. one thing I noticed is that i've clipped a lot of dead leaves over the last few months, and not much new has grown. the plant always seems so huge and full at her place, and it seems 'thinned' out now. could be winter maybe? i dont know.

my main question is regarding the really gnarly woody stemms/roots on this thing. I'm wondering if these should be exposed as they are (they definitely give the plant some cool character) or should they be under the soil?

I'm wondering id I should either replant it into a larger pot, or maybe try and split it?

any advise would be greatly appreciated :)

oh, and if anyone can tell me what exactly this thing is that'd be interesting to know. Al I know is that it's a begonia.

thanks again!

{{gwi:429367}}

{{gwi:429369}}

Comment (1)