Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonia

Posted by nrmb z3 wiMother (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 16, 05 at 11:14

I just brought up my begonia (angelwing I think) from the basement and it already has started to grow. I didn't take my bulbs out of the soil so I have light deprived, white stems. Can I cut these off or are they the only ones I'm going to have.
I wish I would have checked on it sooner.

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonia

If it's a cane (Angel Wing) it doesn't have a tuber, and if you've got light-starved shoots you'll need to be careful about getting it into the light it so desperately needs to keep it from burning. If you have fluorescents that might be the best treatment, and then move it into brighter light gradually. Cane begonias can take quite a lot of light, including some sun, but would need to be acclimated. If you're gentle with it you should get new shoots at the base and if the ones you have now don't get looking better you can indeed cut them off, but i'd wait until some new growth shows up to do that. In the future, treat it like a regular houseplant and don't expect it to go dormant, as they really don't want to. They make great houseplants all year around.
Another Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here