Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luv_2_gardn

Begonia Nonstop® Fire Seeds

luv_2_gardn
14 years ago

Hi All,

This is my first time to grow Begonias using HPS lights. I want them to begin flowering before using them outside. The package states the seeds will flower 22 weeks from sowing. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can anyone give me any advice? Thank you so much for your help!

Take care,

Luv_to_gardn

Here is a link that might be useful: Begonia tuberhybrida Nonstop Fire

Comments (11)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I never started nonstop begonias from seed. It seems like a long drawn out process especially for one from your zone. I can see them taking that long to bloom, because they make tubers too.

I do start them from saved tubers and they take long enough to bloom. You have to start them the first of February for them to bloom at planting time.

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

I have 100 seeds each of nonstop appleblossom, bright rose, fire and rose petticoat and I'm fixin to start them this weekend. Some of them, anyway. Johnny's and HPS catalog both said to start them in December or January for May pack sales, so I think we're good to go on timeframe. Best of luck! Post some pics when yours germinate and I'll do the same. Where'd you get yours?

• luv_2_gardn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Sleepy,

I got my seeds from Parks -- or I should say I ordered them and now they are on back order... sigh. I have my growing room ready and I'm looking forward to starting something, anything :) Where did you get so many seeds? The packet I ordered only has 40 pelleted seeds in each package.

Thanks for the info about Johnny's and HPS. I'll have to order their catalog. I would love to see some of your pictures, and if I ever get my seeds I will show you my pictures.

Hi Oilpainter,

Yes, it is long and drawn out, but so is winter :) I like starting seeds. If I like my Nonstop Fire maybe I'll try my hand at tubers next year, but I'll have to come back and get more info from you folks :)

Take care,
    Luv_2_gardn

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Well, if you have success with your seeds this year, you should be able to save the tubers they produce for next year, right? And seeds are so much cheaper than tubers, at least from what I've seen. I ordered my seed from Geo Seed; they have really great prices. $3.30 for 100 seeds of all the Nonstop colors. We'll see if they germinate well or not. So far, Geo Seeds has had better prices and higher quantity of seed than the competition on every variety I've checked. Hopefully your seeds arrive soon!

• goblugal
    14 years ago

Here is much more complete cultural info from the actual breeder of the Non-Stop Series.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ernst Benary

• luv_2_gardn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Sleepy,

Yes, I'm hoping I will be able to start from tubers next year, assuming I have success. I tried to find the Geo website but I couldn't. Can you post the link? Thanks for all of you help.

Hi Goblugal,

thanks so much forthe web site! It was extremely interesting and very informative.

Take care,

Luv_2_gardn

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Their site is www.geoseed.com . They don't have an online catalog or online ordering, but they will mail you a catalog pretty quickly. The only slight drawback to them is that their catalog doesn't have pictures, but it's pretty easy to look up pictures online if you need to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Geo Seed

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Oh, and I forgot, this morning I've got some teeeeeny tiny little begonia seedlings! You practically need a magnifying glass to see them. There looks to be a fair number of them too. Primarily the Fire color have sprouted first; there's a few in the Rose Petticoat container, too. Isn't it interesting what sprouts first; must have to do with slight variations in temp, moisture, etc. Or variability in the seed I guess.

• luv_2_gardn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Sleepy,

I'm jealous, I want to plant my seeds :) Thanks for the web site!

Take care,

Luv_2_gardn

• zoee1957
    12 years ago

I would be a little leary of GEOseed. I placed an order that totaled $63.00, last Friday they charged my Visa Card $570.15, I still haven't gotten my order or my money back. Right now I think a catalogue without pictures would be the least of your worries.

Better grab what you can on the Non Stop Begonia's most of them are out of stock from distributors and on long back order. In one particular case it is on back order until December 2012.

I grow hundreds of these every year from seed in order to develop the tubers. Last year the tubers really did well, about 3 - 4 inches when I harvested them. The tubers will come true but the seed will not. Unfortunately, So Far I haven't been able to find any suppliers or distributors that have the Begonia Non Stop� Fire available. I was able to find some retail seed at Thompson Morgan.

Here is a website that you can get quality Begonia seeds at reasonable prices with super fast shipping. http://cripplecreekcreations.weebly.com/

• goblugal
    12 years ago

Have to disagree on being leery with GEO seed - have been using them for years, know the owners VERY well. They obviously made a mistake on your billing - I would have NO DOUBT it will be corrected. They are an extremely reliable company.
    You will NOT find any Non Stop Fire because it has been discontinued by Benary. They are no longer producing it. My company used about 5.1 million tuberous begonia seeds last year, so I kinda know what I'm talking about

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider