Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magmason

Hard Freeze and Begonia Foliosa?

magmason
17 years ago

Sorry to be so ignorant, but we don't often have hard freezes around here, so I'm not sure what to expect. It's dipped below freezing for several hours for a few nights here in Santa Barbara, and this morning I went out to find my large, lovely, thriving Begonia Foliosa (Fuschia Begonia) all drooping and limp, obviously severely damaged by the hard freeze.

Will it come back? The lower stems are still green when I scratch them. Should I wait a few days or weeks and prune off the dead stuff?

Many Thanks.

Comment (1)

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Sorry about your inclement weather! I'm not sure about B. foliosa specifically, but many of my begonias are outside and come back from damage. I would get it in if you have the space, and probably wait a bit to cut it back more than the very obviously dead stuff. We have frosts and freezes, obviously, more than you do, and I try to cover things with frost blankets or old sheets or whatever when a frost threatens, but even then I may get a good bit of damage. It's amazing how well they come back----usually! Good luck!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH