Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bugbite_gw

Big Series

bugbite
13 years ago

Anyone order seed and grow any of the three "Big Series" begonias.

What is the blooming season? I saw "early to late summer" and "early summer until frost". Of course I prefer the latter. I included the parks link but will actually order from Geoseed because they are alot cheaper.

Anyone interested in splitting an order with me? It will be about $6 for 50 seeds or $3 for 25 seeds.

Thanks,

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Series

Comments (8)

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

I tried them this year, we roughly compared them with Lotto series (1000 pelleted seeds each), the germination rate of BIG was extremely poor 15%, compared to more than 85% of Lotto.

BIG was early to bloom then Lotto at a shorter height, bloom size is just a bit larger then Lotto. The Lotto "Pink" has almost same sized blooms as BIG.

Dark leaved BIG were more vigorous then green leaved, the green leaved red has the smallest bloom in BIG series.

We were unable to mark any significant differences in plants of both series except for price (BIG on very higher side) and germination.

I made these observation at a local nursery with help from the owner. My own plants regularly nibbled by squirrels doesn't qualify for comparison.

Izhar

• denninmi
    13 years ago

I grew the bronze leafed pink last year, but bought the plants. I tried my own begonias from seed once, but they're just too hard and too slow for an amateur growing under lights in the basement.

Loved the plants, they did great all summer. I dug them up and have THOSE under the lights for next year.

• bugbite
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both for your replies. Considering the significant price difference between the BIG series and Lotto, plus the germination rate difference, seems like Lotto would be the obvious one to test. I directly sow so have a different set of challenges.
    Thanks again,
    Bob

• orchids41
    13 years ago

I was at Blodgetts' Nursery on Edgewater in College Park last week, and they had just gotten in a shipment of these from American Farms in Naples. I had never seen a 'Big' begonia before. Looked like an ordinary wax begonia on steroids. GORGEOUS! $3.99 in a one gallon container.

• bugbite
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Judyfl, Sounds like they are well worth the $3.99...with all the time and effort they spend on growing, transporting, and retailing it.
    If I had seed experience with begonias I would try these as a full border. At 100 seeds for $10.45 (at geoseed), just three successes would pay for itself. Bob

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

I'm trying a few begonias from seed this year for the first time.

I bought "Big Red" seeds from Swallowtail, 15 pelleted seeds for $4.49. I sowed the 15 seeds (on Jan 11) into a 12 cell APS and I have sprouts in 11 of the 12 cells. They're still so tiny they're barely visible, but they're there.
    {{gwi:429747}}

Front left are Bada Bing and front right are Illumination, sown mid December. I obviously didn't have a whole lot of confidence because I just did a few cells of each.

Karen

• bugbite
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karen,
    That's very encouraging. Thanks

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

I like Swallowtail. Their prices are pretty good and I get good germination from them.

I also bought impatiens from them. Last year was the first time I tried impatiens from seed. I bought cheap seeds from a hardware store. They eventually sprouted but took forever. This year I tried some from Swallowtail. Looks like every one must have sprouted, and within a week.

The impatiens and begonias I did under lights. Most of my seeds I wintersow though. Much easier.

Karen