Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonia Woes........

Posted by cugal 5b-6a NE Ks (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 22:33

Posted by cugal 5b-6a NE Ks (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 17:10

Posted in growing from seed also......

First attempt at propagating Begonias & I'm a dismal failure.....

Just sowed about 500 pelleted seeds of wax (fibrous) Ambassador F1 begonias........

Surface sown in a flat of Pro MIx BX, misted & covered.... placed under a 4' T8 2 bulb fixture (on 16 hrs/day)..... on heat mats (77F), in a germinator......

Fastforward to January 28Th........ Seeds are germinating well, but when they're placed under lights, most die. They're watered properly & media temp is 65F D/ 60F N.......

What am I doing wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonia Woes........

Semps are usually trouble free, and there is not too much to look at here with your problem. Didyou transplant them before the third leaf appeared? Generally they can survive that, though. I would guess the soil is a bit over wet and the roots can't handle it, or they may be too close to the lights and the heat is building up someway.All my seeds grow about a foot below a two bulb 40w fixture, whether they are semps or species.

o

• Posted by cugal 5b-6a NE Ks (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 10:29

Thanks woebegonia for taking time to post! I'd like to think I've done a good job of monitoring media moisture, however there is that chance my lights are too close (3" above flats)...... Media temps stay around 60-65F & my petunias (under the same 4bulb-32W/4' fixture) seem to be fine..... I hear lots about lights not being close enough, but perhaps I'm over the top.... I have one more flat about to come off heat & I'll raise the lights over them to see if it helps.....

Transplanting isn't an issue due to the fact I haven't made it that far yet..... LOL I see pics of folks starting begonias in peat pellets (ugh) & they've done great...... Makes me think I'm trying too hard.... :(

o

i think medium at 60-65f is too low for begonias. search 'begonia from seeds' even on this forum. 70's is what other people keep the seedlings at.

o

• Posted by cugal 5b-6a NE Ks (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 14:03

i think medium at 60-65f is too low for begonias. search 'begonia from seeds' even on this forum. 70's is what other people keep the seedlings at.

Valid point. My temps might be at least part of the problem. Pro Mix tends to hold lots of moisture..........

Raising temps poses a problem because I do my propagating in my 30x40 shop.. Although heated, it struggles to maintain heat with the brutal winter we're experiencing here in Kansas......

o

I wonder if you have damping off disease.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here