Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonia multiflora Park's Whopper Fiery Red

Posted by kdjoergensen z6b NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 29, 05 at 22:44

Has anyone grown these from seed yet ?
I have purchased some seeds this year to try them out.

They claim flowers are 8" diameter size which sound be very interesting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonia multiflora Park's Whopper Fiery Red

Just planted the seeds today, so lets hope for the best.

o

Sorry I haven't heard of these but they sound very attractive.
I have sown standard Begonia seed and pendula ones about 5 weeks ago and have just pricked them out. They seem to be doing ok under the lights.
Please let us know how your Whopper Fiery Red turn out.

Geoff

o

G E R M I N A T I O N !!! . Begonia time.

o

I always think it is exciting when you see the first green haze appearing, they are so tiny and fragile to start but seem pretty tough.
I have let mine grow a little more this year before the first pricking out and they have been a bit easier to handle. Sowing a bit more thinly also seems to help.

Geoff

o

• Posted by will36 Mt. Shasta,CA,U (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 24, 05 at 22:49

I just posted on a new topic BUT I was talking about the Whopper Begonias. Absolutely no germination!! It has been about 20 days. I would appreciate anyone checking the other posting and if possible HELP! HELP1 HELP1

o

I planted the Whopper Fiery Red on Feb 25 and I have NO germination. So sad!!! I hope we get some answers for these guys. I tried the Whopper yellow and orange too - no germination for these guys either. :(

o

I had one out of 25 germinating. Not a lot, but at least one went through. rgds

o

I got 4 Whopper Yellow sprouts today !!

I moved my seeds to a warmer heat mat, started keeping the grow lights on 24 hours and I'm making sure I keep them moist by spraying and/or bottom watering. I'm not sure it this has helped or if it was that they just needed more time to germinate.

I also have one Begonia Bayou Scarlet that sprouted yesterday.

o

• Posted by bmchan z5 central MA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 8, 05 at 21:39

I ordered from stokes and they really delayed my order. So - i just planted this last weekend, which is 3 weeks late for zone 5. It will be interesting to see how they develop. I will maintain a constant feeding schedule.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here