Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bfern

Growing begonias in ground, zone 10

bfern
11 years ago

i am planning to plant some shade loving plants in my garden and would like to include begonias. anybody in this forum growing begonias in ground? if so i would like suggestions on soil preparation and what has grown best for you. i live in sw florida, fort myers area.
thank you
fern

Comments (3)

• hc mcdole
    11 years ago

I know a lot of FL and CA folks grow begonias in the ground but any I grow in the ground have to be dug up in the fall before winter sets in (although some have come back from the roots the following spring if I missed some).

I've had good luck with a couple growing in the compost heap (I thought they were dead and tossed them and a couple of months later they have come back from the dead and formed a nice plant). From that observation, a porous mix seems ideal for growing them in the ground.

• Christof76
    11 years ago

Hi, I"m running an horticultural enterprise in Germany, we plant Begonias in summer beds, especially a nwe orange Typ of Begonia elatior ("Peardrop") and a lght yellow Sort ("Buffy") are very resistable. Before planting we dig up the soil and add industrial compost with a long lasting fertilizer (Osmocote). We plant them also in very hot spots here, but I don"t know how they stand temps more than 35 C

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

There are many on the FL forum with incredible Begonia collections. You may want to check that out also, FL gardening is unlike any other part of the country. Good luck!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!