Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Hot weather hanging basket?

solstice98
16 years ago

Hello Begonia People,

I'm a regular on the Florida Gardening Forum but I have a question I think you all might be able to help me with.

I love cane begonias and have several in containers in my patio and a few in the ground that have been pretty hardy. But now I want to try a few hanging baskets under my crape myrtle trees and am more interested in blossoms than leaves. Can anyone recommend a couple begonia varieties that will do well in hanging baskets, produce lots of flowers, and will also hold up well in the heat of the Florida summer? The plants will received almost constant shade except for early morning - maybe some dappled light for short periods until about 1pm. I'm thinking some of the tuberous begonias with huge flowers would look nice but I don't know how well they'll take the heat and daily rains. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Kate

Comments (9)

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

Dragon wing begonias are sterile and continue to bloom no matter what.... I would recommend them whole heartedly. I had them in a small window box, very small window box and they thrived.... the red blossoms stained the driveway and ground.

• engelsal
    16 years ago

My question is similar--I was thinking of using dragon leafs in my hanging baskets on my deck. It gets indirect light until noon and then hot, west sun from noon on. Are these conditions to hot and severe for these plants? I am in zone 5 in western MI. Thanks in advance for your help.
    --Alice

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

As long as you keep them watered well (do let them dry out slightly before watering again) they should do fine. I had one on our deck a couple of summers ago and it got extremely hot but the DW grew great.

{{gwi:430091}}

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great picture!

I'm not hearing much support for my tuberous begonia idea. I think I'll try a couple in baskets but will add some cuttings of the DW and other cane begonias as well. That way i should get nice growth no matter what. Thanks for your input!
    Kate

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Go ahead and try tuberous but a lot of experts from FL say they cannot grow them due to the heat. I've grown them but treat them as annuals. They had some huge ones in CA at the National Convention. The blooms were as large as a big saucer (8 inches across).

{{gwi:430092}}

{{gwi:430093}}

{{gwi:430094}}

{{gwi:430095}}

• solstice98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All I can say is "wow". They are all pretty but the yellow in the third picture is outstanding.

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

Here in southern Louisiana (z9a) the hort. department at the university tried tuberous begonias. I think they got a flower or two. That was in the greenhouse with cooling. A number of people I know tried them, but nobody succeeded. I grew them when I lived in western Washington (state) but believed the locals when they told me not to try here, so I don't really have personal experience. If you would be satisfied with two or three flowers, okay. Otherwise, i would say there are So Many begonias that really love it here and do so well so easily, that torturing some for such a disappointing display doesn't seem productive to me.

• mikemay324_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

hello. ima beginner when it come to plants, not much of a green thumb here. so just looking for a few plant ideas and tips for a couple hanging plants on my small apartment porch. maybe a couple diff flowers in one basket. i dont know im new to this. any help would be great. thanks.

• Michi_Harper
    13 years ago

I also tried tuberous begonias nemerous times in S. LA and they always croaked!I tried them in pots, and in the ground. No joy!

@greenelbows Are you at UL? That's my alma mater (except it was USL then!)