Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seaecho1

Delightful 'Tiger Kitten'!

seaecho1
19 years ago

My little rhizomatous 'Tiger Kitten' is so cute - and its currently blooming. Its the first begonia I've ever had, and its indoors. Its delightful. I have a few waxes, but that's it. The waxes bloom almost constantly. For someone who has 40 plus orchids, succulents, hoyas and other tropicals, the begonias are a breath of fresh air. Orchids do EVERYTHING slow as molasses, and these begonias grow much more quickly, not to mention how colorful and cheerful they are. I still love orchids, and they will always be my first love, but I can really see how people become addicted to begonias. If they are all like my Tiger Kitten, I wish I had the space, because I'd own them all!

Randi

Comments (9)

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

Wish I had the space too, Randi, and I grow most of mine outside! There are a number of even-smaller rhizomatous you might check out, some with colorful foliage that aren't even Rexes with their special demands. And if you're interested in terrarium or bubble-bowl growing, the small African begonias with yellow flowers are a whole new area. They're what pushed me over the edge from liking begonias a lot to being addicted, as at that time I moved an average of every other year and needed small plants that would transport well!

• seaecho1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

OK, greenelbows, what smaller rhizos do you recommend? I'm thinking of starting a cake container terrarium (big spender here!) with a couple of carnivorous plants and maybe a few very small begonias. African begonias, huh? I'll have to check that out! Here we go again!

Randi

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

Somewhere I've got more complete information, but I can't find it. The one that pushed me over the edge of sanity was B. prismatocarpa 'Variegation'. The book (Thompson's) says it is ever-blooming and less than three inches at maturity. I would quibble a bit with that; if it's happy it would easily fill your cake terrarium (a fine choice, by the way) in time as it creeps along the soil. Well, I found it easiest in sphagnum moss rather than soil or potting mix. There is a plain green form that must be easier because it's a lot easier to find. Not sure I'd recoommend it as a starter--terrarium growing is easy once you get the hang of it but usually takes a bit of experimenting to find what's best FOR YOU and your conditions. My method is different from anyone else's I've ever read. Failed quite a few times before I hit on it. Might be a topic for a discussion. The only problem I have with the Thompson book is its age--they keep finding and hybridizing new begonias that aren't in there. In their list of rhizomatous begonias with 'unusual surface and/or coloring, small-leaved (generally under 3 inches at maturity' they have. decora, triflor, violifolia, 'Buttercup', Cocette', 'Fuzzy Buzz', 'Gingersnap', 'Mae Bee', 'Moon Bug', 'Ona-Mae', 'Orphan Annie', and Prissy-Bee'. The only one of those named hybrids I've grown or even remember seeing is 'Buttercup', which is a Kartuz hybrid and very nice. It's larger than the B. prismatocarpas, and also ever-blooming. I guess another problem with the Thompson book has to be that so many of the hybrids they talk about are not available, at least easily, any more. Of course, lots of species and new hybrids aren't either. Patrick Worley has a number of nice little ones, some that do fine outside a terrarium too. Somewhere I have a list of the yellow-flowered African species--maybe it's in an old Begonian and you could find it at the ABS site. The Kartuz site has lots of information and special begonias (but I'd advise going there instead of doing mail-or internet ordering.) Also lots of information and different plants with Rob's Violets, Lauray of Salisbury, and not as much as there used to be at Logee's. I spend hours dreaming---
    Nan

• mingtea
    19 years ago

B. prismatocarpa is a nice one, i don't have the variegated variation, but it sure is lovely. i like 'Five and Dime,' 'Royal Lustre,' 'Smidgeons,' 'Small Change,' 'Emerald Lacewing' and a slew of other miniatures, too many to mention... definitely check out the sites that nan recommends. they carry some very good candidates for terrarium culture. the african species are wonderful!

-ming

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

I had forgotten how many begonias are on the Rob's Violets site, and they kinda specialize--besides their violets and streps--in plants for dish gardens and terrariums. Lots of little plants, many but not all pictured, good prices and a reliable source. Don't think I've seen them recommended on this forum either; we tend to think of them for AVs and other gesneriads.
    Nancy

• stonesriver
    19 years ago

Here are photos of some small-leaved varieties.
    Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: ABS

• seaecho1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh boy! Now I have lots to look up! I'll let you guys know what I end up with. Thanks for the help (enabling, lol)

Randi

• janicequinn
    18 years ago

I just got got a "Tiger Kitten" begonia and I would like to start another one. If anyone has a suggestion about how to root this plant, please send me your ideas.
    Thanks

• bsimpson
    14 years ago

Just got a Tiger Kitten about a week ago and there were two little (less than 1/2") pieces of rhizome broken off in the shipping process. The "mother" (Well, it's a baby) seems to be doing quite well. I planted the "cuttings" and I hope that they'll root and grow. "Tiger Kitten" is my first Eyelash and I think it's just adorable! It's only my third Begonia. The first two being B. "Lana" which turned out to be an amazing, strong grower and bloomer and B. "Dragonwing Red" which I don't really know yet, what it will or won't do...