Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonias Albo-picta and Odorata alba?

Posted by julianna 7bAR (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 15:06

hi all! Can anyone tell me about these? I'm looking at them and mostly trying to decide if I really need both because they are so vastly different, or just one. I mainly like the idea of scent for B. odorata var. alba-- and the look of the other. Online what i checked out so far lists them as being similar heights and widths. Does one bloom more than the other? One better for indoor-outdoor use than the other? I don't have a greenhouse, so it will need to be something that enjoys (read tolerates well) indoor winters. Thanks!

PS-- random aside-- is there a forum here where most begoniacs look for trades or is the exchange here more or less it? I noticed it was kind of dead.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonias Albo-picta and Odorata alba?

I have albo picta but not the odorata. It gets treated more like a succulent than a begonia and only goes out in summer. It branches, sends up basal canes and blooms prolifically from spring to fall and in winter when I can fit it under the grow lights.

o

Thanks! does it get very big?

o

It grows to around 2 feet but then tends to spread and to widen instead of getting much taller. I think it would be a great begonia for you but I'd love to have an odorata too. I get a lot of joy burying my nose in a fragrant bunch of flowers. Anita

o

I know! I've seen varying reports on its actual fragrance though, which makes me more hesitant about it.

Thanks for the information about the height and spread of albo-picta. That helps me while I am thinking about what to put where and how it would fit overall in the scheme of begonias :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here