Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting indoor. Timing?

Posted by EGO45 6bCT (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 16:24

After being successful with begonias last year I went crazy and just bought about 50 different crispa, non-stop and double begonias. Plus I have about 10 overwintered from the last year.
When I should start them indoor if last frost date here in the middle-end of April? I forgot when did I start them last year, but remember that they didn't bloom for me till mid-June. I'd prefer to not lose any blooming time if that is possible.
Last year I started each tuber in individual 4" pot and then transplanted in larger mixed containers in quantities that were appropriate. Everything was working as a charm and I'll continue to do so, but this year I'd need to put some of them in the ground.
Anything special I should know about 'begonias in the ground'?
Thank you for reading such long post. I'll try to make it up by posting some last year pictures:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting indoor. Timing?

Remember to water the begonias in the ground (no kidding, I keep forgetting). Count on 13 weeks from starting until flowering to be safe. I have found that keeping begonias indoors more than 6-8 weeks are difficult (they become too large)

o
RE: Starting indoor. Timing?

Kenneth, thanks for reply.
Those time guidelines you provided are extremely helpfull.
Let me think out loud my plan and please correct me if I'm too agressive or plain wrong in my assumptions.

13 weeks from now brings us to the end of May-beginning of June, which would mean roughly 4 week of safe (frost free) growing outdoor from beginning of May. 13-4=9. That means that I should keep them 'frost protected' for 8-9 weeks i.e. whole March and April. In my particular case it's very doable: I could start them in square 4" or round 3 1/2" pots in my utility (65-70F warm, bright, but no direct sun light) room for 4-5 weeks. In April I could transfer them into unheated, but insulated storage room where even in a winter temperature rarely goes below 45F and stays in a 60's even in a hottest summers. Room is relatively dark, but I could keep fluorescent lights on 24/7 if necessary. At the same time I could start transfering some of them into 'to be a summer home' large containers similar to those on a pictures above, but still keep them in that room as I will not have a space restrictions there at that time.
Begonias destined to be 'in ground plants' could be replanted in larger (1-2G) pots as they would become too large.
Would it work?
I have an itchy fingers :-))
George

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here