Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reptilegrrl

New to Begonias

reptilegrrl
18 years ago

Hi, I am relatively new to the world of begonias. I am finding myself obsessed with them now, though. It all started when I saw a plant belonging to one of my neighbors- it was huge, with cane-like stems, and pink heart-shaped flowers that hung in big bunches. I really like heart-shaped flowers, so I was hooked. Eventually I received some cuttings of the plant, and that's how I found out that it was a begonia, or the winged variety (not sure if this is angel wing or dragon wing.) The only begonias I had ever seen before were tiny, unattractive plants in beds around town, so I was very surprised.

My winged begonia has been doing great indoors this winter, and I am going to put the pot back out this spring in hopes that it wil bloom. Recently I received some wax begonia cuttings, one with green leaves and dark-pink-and-white flowers, the other with green leaves and flowers of pale pink with a metallic gold tinge. Both plants have heart-shaped blossoms. I have those cuttings rooting in water right now.

I mean to attend some meetings of my local branch of the Begonia Society, and I hope to expand my begonia collection. Right now I am in love with a GIANT specimen of winged begonia that I saw at a local nursery. I want more!

- Priscilla

Comments (2)