Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_ewash

Angle Wing quesions....

Vera_EWASH
19 years ago

Hello,

I have never had any type of Begonia before and recently got an Angle Wing. I have a few questions and hope someone can help me with them!

1. I understand cane types should be placed in east or north locations when brought outdoors...what about humidity? If our average relative humidity between June and September is between 24-36% in the afternoon is that bad?

2. IF that outdoor humidity will work, should I plant in ground or bury the pot? For one, it does tend to get pretty windy from time to time, and secondly I don't know what pH the cane type needs...our pH around here averages between 7 and 8.5

I don't the ID of my Angle Wing, but right now it is at 16", has leaves up to 12" with silver spots..some of these spots have a pink hue, the undersides are maroon/wine colored. It has several canes that have branched from 2 of the nodes on the main cane. It was in a small 4" pot and I transplanted it to a 6" Terra Cotta.

Thanks,

Vera

Comments (4)

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

I kinda hesitate to say too much about how to grow in conditions so different from mine. Sounds like you're doing very well so far! I grow most of my canes outside all the time (under frost blankets for what we laughingly call winter) and since humidity is our middle name I don't have to worry about it. In the house even I usually have higher humidity than yours. But if yours is doing that well--and it won't be much drier outside than in I would think--it should be fine. Canes are very adaptable for the most part. East windows should be fine but I'd think north wouldn't really be light enough. They really like a little sun even outdoors. Rhizomatous would do better in north windows. Might be a good idea to plunge the pot outdoors and do what you can to protect it from the wind perhaps. Don't think they'd really mind a little wind but you'd get some leaf damage probably, especially if it's more than a little wind. They prefer a soil about neutral to a little on the acid side I think, tho' I've never made a serious study of it. Some canes will grow very large if they're happy, and it sounds like yours is well on the way!

• Vera_EWASH
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks greenelbows :)

I wasn't wondering about east or north windows indoors but outdoor sun exposure. Is yours in sun, morning/afternoon sun or shade? I'm 'assuming' some outdoor sun is needed to maintain the color in the leaves?
    I really don't know how well it will appreciate my humidity even indoors as I've only had about 2 weeks, but so far so good :)

Vera

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

Mine are mostly in dappled shade/sun on the northeast side of the house under a live-oak. Have to move 'em around as the sun moves. They will take a fair amount of sun at least here, but of course shade outside is brighter than a sunny window outside. Without the moderating influence of our heavy humidity they might need less sun. I try to keep a pretty sharp eye on them and if I see any sign of sun-bleaching I move them to more shade, and if they even hint they might be reaching for the light I give them more. Usually try to walk around and look at each one at least daily, tho' not under the frost blankets! I really enjoy walking around and asking them how they're doing, and if they need a drink or a little fertilizer, and admiring them or threatening them depending on how they're doing! One of these days I really should count them--have no idea how many I have. Not enough!

• hc mcdole
    19 years ago

GreenElbows,

I do the same thing. I start off by moving my pots under trees in the spring so they don't burn. Then depending on the type I may start moving them out to more sun as they become acclimated (canes and some rhizomes). By late August I am moving most out to full sun to put on any last growth before I have to move them back indoors. By then the sun is less intense and the leaves have hardened. I have also planted canes in the ground years ago in full midday sun with no ill effects (actually grew very large and lush), but you have to keep the ground moist at all times if you do this. Come fall you just have to take cuttings since they are usually too big to dig up and pot. I even had one cane come back the next year from the ground. Good thing because I lost the cuttings of this particular cane.

That is the good thing about pots - you can move them to suit the plant's needs. So some you may be moving in deeper shade while others you may be moving out to the fringes of your shade.

Butch

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz