Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tuberous begonias not dormant!

Posted by ElizabethAW zone 5 SE WI (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 26, 05 at 21:14

I've got two tuberous begonias (illumination series) under lights in my basement. They are looking pretty ratty (mildewy, etc.), but they just aren't going dormant! I've quit watering them and they seem pretty dry. A third one lost its foliage about 2 weeks ago (and had a decent sized tuber). They were all from seed last summer.

I was hoping to start the tubers up again in about a month or so--but these guys aren't dormant! Should I put them in an even cooler place without any light? I could just cut off the foliage, but it seems that letting them wither might transfer more energy to the tuber.

Will one month of dormancy be enough?

thanks!
Elizabeth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tuberous begonias not dormant!

One month of dormancy should be fine. I would just cut the flower stem back. It is marginal how much more energy you can transfer.

o
RE: tuberous begonias not dormant!

Probably the reason your begonias kept growing, could be the day length you are giving them under the lights. At 12 hours or more growth will continue, get below this and the plants top growth will slow and put the energy into the tuber.Reducing day length more will make them think about going to rest. Should conditions be right, (day length and temperature)growth can continue indefinately.
You have probably cut the foliage down by now, and the tubers should start off without any problem, you could put them onto warmth and they should be growing again in 3 to 4 weeks.
The growth of tuberous begonias like many plants is governed by day length, one of the reasons why growing tuberous begonias in an area nearer the equator is almost impossible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here