Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonia nelumbiifolia with shell pink flowers?

Posted by teeandcee Florida 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 22:04

I was at a nursery today and saw the most beautiful begonia. It had very distinctive round leaves like lily pads. I think it must have been begonia nelumbiifolia. However, the flowers were shell pink. Not blush white but very much pink albeit a light pink.

Can begonia nelumbiifolia have shell pink flowers? Any ideas as to what other begonia it may have been?

The owner of the nursery said it was notoriously difficult to root with cuttings if that helps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonia nelumbiifolia with shell pink flowers?

Don't know about shell pink flowers on nelumbiifolia but it sounds intriguing. A picture would be helpful. How big were the leaves? Was there distinctive veining in the leaf?

B. hernandioides has pink flowers but would look like a small nelumbiifolia without distinct veins for example.

o

Like a dummy I didn't take a pic. I'd say the leaves were about 6 inches across on average. My memory is the leaves were fairly smooth, like a lily pad, and very distinctively round (pretty sure it's not B. hernandioides due to this roundness). The flowers were on a tall stalk fluttering above the leaves. Overall the whole plant was about 2 feet across. It may have been a young plant. He's trying to air layer to increase his plants so I'm going to call in a few weeks to see how that's going. I WANT THAT PLANT. :D

o

If you get a picture please post it.

o

I do plan on going back and will get a pic then and repost. I had my camera and everything that day. :X

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here