Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenelbows1

Importance of labels

greenelbows1
19 years ago

There is a pretty long post on the houseplants forum about record-keeping, including some who write information on the labels, and some people (including me!) who comment on the joys of squirrels and birds and such great helpers who make off with labels. Lately I've been reminded once again of how nice it is to know the names of your plants. Several years ago there was a discussion in The Begonian about a less-common begonia that is quite attractive but none of the growers on the panel/forum/I don't remember what had been able to keep more than two leaves on it. I've got THREE WHOLE LEAVES on mine and I can't remember its name!! How can I brag if I can't tell you what I'm braggin' about!! Probably most of you think having three leaves on a begonia is not exactly a great accomplishment. Another one that's missing a tag is one that I just took the frost blanket off a few days ago. Maybe in a few weeks or a month I'll remember what it is, but now it is just barely recognizable as a begonia by the ONE teeny tiny leaf, not even as big as the end of my little finger, that's all that is left on the short bit of stem after I pruned off all the dead stuff. Don't think I'm bragging about that one--but it is alive and I'm reasonably sure will become something to enjoy later. I think I will get organized enough this spring to figure out how many I have. Still won't know names for a lot of them--too many didn't have names when I got them.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio