Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will begonias do okay...

Posted by m990540 Oklahoma (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 7:55

Hi,

I am planning on planting a row of begonias where they will receive just about full sun until 1:30 - 2:00 PM each day. Will that be too much sun? I live in zone 6B/7A and can get either begonias with green or dark green leaves. (I've read that the dark leave begonias do better with more sun.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will begonias do okay...

Fibrous begonias will probably be fine if established and with enough water. I have the rose with dark leaves. They get the center of the days sun in summer. I mulch or crowd plants to cover the ground to cut down on weeds and moisture lose. These tough cookies are perennial for me. Begonias are not a true pink, they lean toward the orange side. My companion planting this year will be anything but pink. Blue and white maybe. We have long hot dry summers.

o

Thanks for the response! I'll be sure to space them closely together, use lots of mulch, and water a few times a week when it gets hot here. We'll see how they do!

o

I use alyssum last year. Dusty Miller on the left of the pot and the blue flower is scabiosa. The alyssum came with harlequin bugs. By July it was toast. The scabiosa got crowded out. Begonias on the left were form the year before. The right ones were planted that spring. I moved the mandevilla to more shade because the flowers were bleaching out in the sun. I put in a big pot of pink petunias that I had from another location. I didn't like the pinks together. My begonias are starting to come up now. I like the cottage garden mix so will have to figure out companion plants for this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here