Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anusia

Species to grow indoors

anusia
16 years ago

Hi,

I love begonias but since I live in Sweeden and don´t have a greenhouse not all specis are suitable for me. I was wondering if anyone could help me by listing some species that grow well indoors. I prefer a plant having leaves looking similar to "Connie Bosswell" an is compakt growing.

//Anusia

Comments (5)

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Connie Boswell is an upright jointed rhizome and can grow tall. It is doing fine for me indoors as well as Little Brother Montgomery. Both are hybrids.

As for species I have several but most do best in terrariums. I have amphioxus (*), bipinnatifida (*), incisa (*), U309 (*) (quite large), U357 (light grey leaves), U508 - I think that's the number with large purple leaves(grows better outdoors I think), sizemoreae (can get very large), rajah (*), scapigera (*) (slow grower), U404 (*), pedatifida (*)(iffy), barsoluxiae, hatacoa silver (*), peltata (can get quite tall), nelumbiifolia (very large), carolineifolia (quite large), venosa (tall), valida (tallish), heracleifolia (does well but can get big), soli-mutata (*), imperialis (*), bowerae (*), and some others I cannot picture in my head at the moment. The starred ones (*) are in terrariums and are doing very well. All are under fluorescent lights for 12 hours a day or more. Most of the other ones are doing good as well but really do better outdoors for summer.

• malsperanza
    16 years ago

I don't have any similar to Connie Boswell, but I live in a New York apartment with south exposure and I'm doing pretty well with the following: gehrtii, soli-mutata, vietnam, iron cross, cascade (in a hanging pot), orococo (which are getting tall), and acetosas and beefsteaks -- which are very easy. They are all in clay pots near windows, not under glass. I put the gehrtiis in clear plastic bags in winter and mist them a lot. I also have a silver-leaf angelwing, but I don't know what kind it is. Most of them have bloomed a bit this winter.

I am now trying some young escargots and erythrophylla helix, which seem to be doing ok so far, still in plastic bags until the weather warms up and the heat goes off.

~Mal

• anusia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for helping!

I din´t realize there existed hybrids but what I meant was that I wanted names of begonias (spp. or hybrids) suitable for growing indoors (and in the garden during the summer)

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Almost all begonias can be grown indoors if you have the room and give them the right conditions. I move over 400 indoors in late October and back outdoors in late April. Canes and rexes are more trouble for me to grow indoors (not enough light and/or humidity) but they do make it through winter to grow again in the summer.

Pick the ones you like and keep in mind that some begonias get very large. Provide enough light and humidity and they should do well.

• bobmark226
    16 years ago

I have quite a few Rex and Rhizamatous Begonias in my bedroom under a very large picture window, on a humidity tray, with western exposure and only a little direct sun late in the day. I mist regularly, though the room only has one small heating vent and has been in the low 60s all winter. Several were moved from the summer patio, but most were bought in the fall. All are positively thriving, and in a few cases, almost scary in their growth and flowering over the winter. None are like Connie Boswell, but the most successful are Madame Queen (wonderful and going quite crazy with growth), Palomar Prince, Marmaduke, Midnight Sun, New York, and Wightii. While they weren't all purchased there, you can see almost all at www.logees.com.

Hope this gives you some ideas!
    Bob