Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eloise_ca

Begonia Kissammee

eloise_ca
17 years ago

I bought what is identified as b. Kissammee, but can't find any information on it on the web. I am trying to find out what color flower this begonia will have. Anyone have any experience with this begonia? Thanks.

Comments (12)

• hc mcdole
    17 years ago

No experience with it but it looks like it was hybridized by Greg Sytch. The flowers will probably be white to pink (most rhizomatous are). I have 'Bashful Bandit' which is another Sytch hybrid and is a very good performer.

Here are some links that might help:

{{gwi:431181}}

ABS

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the websites hcmcdole. On the Antonelli begonias' website, they have a b. Kissimmee, but I couldn't find a picture of that one either. I wonder if Kissammee and Kissimmee are the same. I will just have to wait on flowers!

• hc mcdole
    17 years ago

I'm 99% sure they are the same. Kissimmee would be the correct spelling. I read somewhere that Greg named most of his hybrids for towns near where he lives. Kissimmee is a suburb of Orlando and is the home of Disney World.

I ordered Kissimmee (plus a bunch more) from Antonelli about a month ago. I wonder how long it will take to get it now.

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

I didn't know Antonelli's had added other begonias besides their great tuberous ones. Glad you mentioned this, Butch, and let us know how your order works out. Good list (a few mistakes!) and attractive prices, if they send healthy plants in a reasonably timely manner! Thanks!

• hc mcdole
    17 years ago

Greenelbows,

I just stumbled into that. Normally I don't revisit websites that have no interest for me (in the past Antonelli only did tuberous) but once in a while I will visit old favorites to see if anything has changed. This time I noticed they had another category so I was pleasantly surprised with the selection and prices. Yes, they do have some misspellings and no pictures. It has been over 4 weeks now and the charge is in our credit card statement but I will give them two more weeks before I start calling them to find out what is going on.

I wish I could send you a link to a message about Antonelli and their new business but I continue to get a nasty message about Spam everytime I hit the preview button. Anyway they are getting some good press on the Yahoo begonia group.

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks hcmcdole for the additional info on Kissimmee. I suppose those making the labels can't spell. I recently placed an order with antonellibegonias.com, and a Michael called me that they did not have b. Plum Georgous at this time so I replaced that with Little Brother Montgomery. I was thrilled that they have Ana Lee Salisbury that I had been trying to replace; also ordered Soli-mutata, Connie Boswell and Luxurians, and a fushia Mood Indigo. As a newby to begonias, it was hard to select. Hope I am able to keep them alive. Michael said he could mail out Wednesday, which was yesterday.

• hc mcdole
    17 years ago

Eloise,

There are so many misspellings out there that it's hard to know what the true spelling and name should be. I read an article in an old "The Begonian" that said 'Cancan' or is it 'Can Can' was actually some old French name but I guess over the ages it is recognized by most with the shortened name. Magdalene Madsen and Jim Wrytzen have many different spellings for example.

Plum Gorgeous has been somewhat of a problem for me. I bought it at Palm Hammock Orchid Estates two years ago along with Caribbean King and Caribbean Queen (plus many more). The Queen and King grew to monstrous sizes in one season. Plum Gorgeous shrank but it held on to this past summer. King and Queen shrunk amazingly too due to frost damage and then sitting in a cool dark garage all winter. I have new offsets of both of these plus some of the original rootstock. Hopefully this summer they can regain their regal proportions once again. Back to Plum Gorgeous, I bought another small plant from GHW before visiting PHOE. I gave that to my daughter. She never potted it beyond what I did for the plant originally and it is a modest size (nothing like it could be). Anyway I got two leaves from her this past fall and started those haphazardly in a bowl. Both rooted but only one survived. It was looking rather sickly downstairs so I finally put a plastic 16 oz clear cup over it and it has completely filled that cup. I now need a bigger cover for it. I have 3 other begonias and a snake plant in the same bowl so I have to take that into consideration as well.

Anna Lee Salisbury looks very nice. Love those spots.

You will love Little Brother Montgomery and Connie Boswell. Check out Kartuz for a lot of new upright jointed rhizomatous. I bought 7 more of these beauties. Don't despair in winter if they totally defoliate and then you end up over watering them.

Soli-mutata loves lots of humidity so I have to keep a cover on it when I bring it indoors for winter and luxurians is a very hard one to grow (I've tried it two times but I will try again in the future).

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hcmcdole,

Maybe my not getting plum georgous is a blessing then. Is it 'georgous' or 'gorgeous'? The website has georgous and the guys that called pronounced it that way.

I will make sure I give soli-mutata lots of humidity, and I hope luxurians survives. Thanks for this info because I probably wouldn't have done this.

Last year, I was vacationing in the NE states and at some store, a lady had this huge Anna Lee Salisbury. She gave me a cutting, but I wasn't able to root it so was thrilled when I found it at Antonelli's.

• hc mcdole
    17 years ago

Eloise,

That is "Gorgeous" as in "Gorgeous George or Wayne". The hybridizer is Tim Anderson at Palm Hammock Orchid Estates. That's funny I just looked at his site and he has it spelled both ways.

PHOE

ABASTRO site

GHW

Canes are very easy to start - water rooting is probably the simplest thing to do. Hope your new Anna Lee grows well for you.

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Got my begonias from Antonelli. As they were out of Plum Gorgeous, they sent me two of Little Brother Montgomery as replacement. My Anna Lee begonia has flowers!

Just learning about begonias and so I composed a somewhat incomplete list, going through different websites and advice given here, on requirements for growing each of the five begonias I ordered. Hope I succeed, and might post from time to time, for your expert advice if you don't mind.

hcmcdole, I put the begonias in a large, clear plastic container, including b. Kissimmee, until I find a better solution for displaying them in my home. Rats, I just gave away an aquarium!

• hc mcdole
    17 years ago

Hey, that is good news that you got your plants. Maybe soon I will get my order. Did you say it was okay to substitute though?

Small aquariums are fairly cheap - 10 gallon for about $10. Try to find ones that don't have pumps and other stuff you don't need to keep the cost down. I just bought a good sized cookie jar at Target today for $13. I'm looking for large glass bowls but so far I am striking out. I bought one a year or two ago from Hobby Lobby for around 10 to 12 dollars if my memory serves me right. I can buy small ones (8 inch) for around $4 which is good for small plants and starters but unless you want the plant growing out and over (like my Shamus), then keep looking. My one large bowl has Rajah in it and hopefully it will one day fill the entire bowl.

I did see an extra large bowl (maybe 24 inches?) at a Wal-Mart Friday but it was over $30. Maybe the price isn't bad for that size, but it was a very large bowl.

Here are some pictures of some of my begonias. Not much there (yet).

some begonias

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hcmcdole,

Michael called to say they were out of plum g., and if I wanted to select something else. I got on their website and looked for quite a while before I called him back with my selection.

Wow, you have tons of begonias and they are all so beautiful and colorful! I am going to try to keep alive what I now have, and if I succeed, then I will try some others. Thanks for the link to your begonias, I am salivating, LOL!