Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good source for Angel Wings?

Posted by solstice98 9b Orlando (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 26, 06 at 11:13

Angel Wing begonias have done very well in my yard and I'm ready to branch out past the few varieties I've found at local nurseries. Is there an internet or mail order company that specializes in begonias? I know there are dozens of varieties but I just can't find them!
Thanks for your help,
Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good source for Angel Wings?

Kate, try Logees. They have several varieties of canes. You can also try Palm Hammock Orchid Estates(PHOE). You can mail order from both, but Logee's will probably deliver the best mail order service.

GH

o

I got brave and ordered a packet of mixed Begonia species from Mr. Fothergill's. Turns out they aren't difficult to germinate at all, as long as you sprinkle the seed on top of the seed-starting mix, and put the pot in one of those "germinator" setups with a clear dome, plant lights and a heat mat. Best of all, it's been wonderful fun.

You could also try Kartuz Greenhouses in Vista, CA, but expect an 8-week wait from the time you place your order until you receive it. I love the things I got from them.

Lisa

o

You can also get them from Lauray of Salisbury and Glasshouse Works (if I got that name right--seems like there might be another 'e' in there.) I've had wonderful experiences from Lauray, tho' I think I read someone who didn't, and I've never ordered from Glasshouse Works but mean to. They, like Kartuz, are reputed to be very slow. They do some hybridizing and I think are quite serious about their begonias. Oh--Lauray will sell you cuttings for half the catalog price with many begonias and other wonderful things. I don't know if they've improved, but the last time I ordered from Kartuz they only sent about half my order, and substituted about half of what they sent. And they had plenty of time to propagate to order! I was not pleased.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here