Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

What is the name of this large, WHITE cane begonia

Ok, I have become obsessed with finding this very large, white cane begonia. I first saw it on an Australian garden blog (see link below). I have been unable to find it in the U.S. I have tried Begonia Society websites, begonia specialty nurseries and eBay - all with no luck. Asking the blogger for a cutting is impractical because he is in Sydney, Australia.

I would really like to know the name of it - more than the name 'Begonia coccinea', which is also used to refer to many pink varieties.

Note that this begonia has no white spots on the leaves.

Do you know the name of this begonia? And even better, do you know anyone who has a cutting they would swap for the pink variety, which I have?

Thanks!

Carol

Jacksonville, Florida

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Large, White Cane Begonia

Comments (20)

• orchids41
    13 years ago

You are not alone in your lust for this begonia, Carol. I stumbled across this blog recently and quickly became obsessed, as well. I'm fairly new to begonias...only off and on in the last ten years or so...so I'm thrown by the 'coccinea', which means red/pink. Lots of begonias have that tag stuck in their pots, but that doesn't mean they're B. coccinea. I ordered a couple of B. undulata plants from Kartuz, thinking it might be that one. If anyone else has this one, I'm in the market, too. You can't send plants through the mail from one country to another, and if customs finds them in your luggage or whatever, they confiscate and destroy them. judy south of you

• peggiewho
    13 years ago

In the recent post 'What happened to Antonelli Bros?' woebegonia clues us in to pedrickscorner.com.
    This is a very interesting sight. I am getting beyond novice into wanting more interesting plants. Hanging baskets started me off growing fuchsia and begonias. I am to the point that local vender and big box stores don't have anything that excites me. This sight is run by a collector. He might be able to identify the begonia you are looking for. He is not selling the begonias, this area is not developed? I would not hesitate to inquire about any fuchsia or begonia. This is a lover of plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Michael Breneman

• eahamel
    12 years ago

I know it's a bit late to be responding to this, but it looks like a white coccinea to me. I've seen coccineas in red, pink and white. I don't know why the white one is also called coccinea, but it is!

• orchids41
    12 years ago

Well, if anyone's still interested, my B.undulata is about three feet tall and blooming. It is definitely NOT the one in the picture. As a matter of fact, it's my least favorite begonia. The B. coccinea 'alba' that I ordered from Gardino's nursery is also growing and blooming and it definitely DOES look the same...or close enough for me.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Judy, thank you so much for the follow up! If you get some time, please post photos of your B. coccinea 'alba'.

Thanks again - much appreciated!

Carol

• gregsytch
    11 years ago

That begonia is 'Mrs Hashimoto', a rather old hybrid created about 40 years ago. It is uncommon. I used to grow it until the hurricanes of '04 drastically reduced my shade and begonias! There is a begonia I sell called 'Denno's White' created here in Tampa Bay that is similar. Check out eBay and see if they have any similar varieties listed. Greg

Original Author
    11 years ago

I have discovered that this begonia is rather common in Australia but rather uncommon in the United States.

Believe me, searching eBay was begun in the early steps of searching. No one there has it. I've consulted experts in the U.S. - some from the Society, some from major begonia websites. As of today, this is a Down-Under begonia and it has not reached the U.S shores - yet. I am convinced that growers/sellers monitor all of the GardenWeb forums to see what folks are looking for and this one will eventually reach us. In no less than five years, I bet I'll be able to find it in any good nursery.

Carol

• orchids41
    11 years ago

Greg: I would love to buy one of your Denno's White begonias. I think we're friends on FB, so let me know, PLEASE. Glad to see you're reading this forum because I want to tell you how gorgeous the begonias are at the Albin Polasek gardens. As I recall, from reading The Begonian, you had a hand in designing and planting the begonia beds. My daughter and I were there last week and were blown away by their beauty. What a *gem* that little museum and garden is!

• orchids41
    11 years ago

Carol--Did you receive the pictures of my B. undulata that I sent by e-mail? Feel free to post them in the "gallery." I'd do it myself if I knew how.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are photos of Judy's Begonia undulata. I agree with Judy - both the flowers as well as the edges of the leaves are tinged with pink. The pedicels are also pink. The elusive begonia in the blog has pure white flowers and mostly white pedicels (link below).

I'm hoping Judy will also send me photos of her Begonia coccinea 'alba'. If I get them, I will post them with her permission.

{{gwi:431309}}
    Judy's Begonia undulata

{{gwi:431311}}
    Judy's Begonia undulata

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Large, White Cane Begonia

• orchids41
    11 years ago

I finally got some pictures of the B. coccinea 'alba' I ordered from....can't remember off-hand. (LOL)

• orchids41
    11 years ago

GARDINO'S THAT'S the name of the nursery in South Florida where I found this begonia.

I also found Mrs. Hashimoto at GlassHouse Works, but theirs is pink/red.

• chloeasha
    11 years ago

Digging up an old thread... did it turn out the B. coccinea 'alba' is the one you thought it would be? I ran across that blog pic as well lol! I loved it and started looking too. I see it for sale online there, but shipping looks pricey lol! I'd be glad to know if that is it though.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Julianna,

I have never acquired/purchased this begonia. Maybe one of these days.

I think Judy confirmed to me by email that the one she ordered from Gardino's was the same as the one in the blog photos.

Carol

• chloeasha
    11 years ago

Hi Carol!

Well, that's good to know. I think I'll keep this on my list of potential begonias to have one day. Looks great.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Come on, growers. It's 2018. Would one of you please bring this begonia, Mrs Hashimoto, to the United States and start propagating and selling? Please! I've been soooo patient. :)

Carol in Jacksonville

Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi McDole, thanks for the confirmation. That's what Greg Sytch said above, too, and now, knowing his experience with begonias, I'm sure he is correct about the name (as are you).

Before I contact Steve's Leaves, do they have some sort of relationship with Fort Worth Botanic Garden (FWBG)? Would this be a normal/usual thing to ask Steve's Leaves to first, contact FWBG and inquire about the plant availability and second, get a cutting and root it on my behalf? I see from their website that Steve's Leaves is wholesaler and asking them to do all of that seems a bit out of the norm. But I'm willing to pursue if you know the folks at SL or know from experience that this would be an ok request.

Thanks!

Carol

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

Yes SL does have a relationship with FWBG. You can always ask FWBG first but I was led to believe they deal with chapters of the ABS only, but maybe they deal with individual ABS members too.

I know some people who have worked with SL to get specials not offered on their website but I've never had the nerve to ask them for special consideration. SL is retail (not wholesale) but I also heard they only do mail order (not a general store to stop and shop at).

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL) thanked hc mcdole
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ABS R#634 Mrs. Hashimoto cane Lucerna x Frances Lyons Hashimoto S. Japan 1970

ABS Registered Begonias

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure