Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID of begonia that looks like miniature rose

Posted by lynne_melb z9b Melb FL (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 2, 05 at 12:20

Hi, my brother-in-law bought some begonia's at a Lowe's in Florida that I'm trying to identify. The plants are about 6 inches tall, and have large leaves - some of the ones at the bottom are 5 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide.

The most remarkable thing is the flowers, they are double and multi-colored and look to me like miniature roses. The flowers are about 3/4 inch in diameter The flowers are on a short stem and each plant has at least 3 blooms.

I don't think that they are a type of wax begonia - the leaf is not shiny or big.

The only tuberous begonias that I'm familiar with have much bigger flowers but I'm wondering if these are a type of tuberous begonia.

Once ID'ed, I'd like to figure out how to propagate one for myself. The store is not that close to me.

The plants are small so there is not a stem to spare. I would like to try to propagate a leaf cutting.

Thanks so much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID of begonia that looks like miniature rose

Probably Reiger begonias. They're out in the hardware stores now. They also go by Elatior or Hiemalis begonia.

Google any of these names for images.

Here is a link from the NY botanical garden concerning these types.

http://www.nybg.org/plants1/plants/begonia.html

Butch

o

• Posted by MingTea z8 OR Corvallis (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 2, 05 at 13:49

perhaps a reiger begonia?
those would be easier to propagate by stem cutting, IMO.

-ming

o

Thanks Ming and Butch. I agree - they look like Reigers.

o

I would like to know where I can purchase bulbs or cuttings fro the Begoina that has 1" blooms and lookslike a Mini Rose. The one I had was white with pink edges very small blooms.

Thanks for any info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here